Chapter 03

Dawn was in the common room, sitting on the sofa in front of the fireplace. She was reading a book. It was a muggle book titled 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. It was a little advanced for her, but she liked the challenge. She was absolutely fascinated with the story. 

The door to the common room opened and Harry, Ron, and Hermione filed in. The three didn't seem to realize that she was still up. 

"What are they thinking? Keeping a thing like that, locked up in a school," Ron exclaimed shaking his head.
"You don't use your eyes, do you? Didn't you see what it was standing on?" Hermione snapped.
"I wasn't looking at its feet. I was a bit preoccupied with its head. Or maybe you didn't notice, there were three!"
"It was standing on a trap door, which means it wasn't there by accident. It's guarding something," Hermione concluded.
"Guarding something?" Dawn asked.

The three turned around, Dawn had caught them by surprise.

"Hi Dawn, didn't see you there," Harry said with a smile.
"If you two don't mind, I'm going to bed before either of you come up with another clever idea to get us killed. Or worse, expelled," Hermione glared at Harry and Ron. She marched to the dorm and closed the door behind her.
"She needs to sort out her priorities," Ron muttered as soon as Hermione was out of earshot. 
"So, is anyone going to explain what's happening?" Dawn asked after a moment of silence.

Harry and Ron looked at each other and started to tell Dawn the story of how Harry became the youngest Seeker in the century, found out that his father was a Quidditch Player, and they accidentally made their way to the third floor and found a three-headed dog locked up.

Dawn was quiet just absorbing everything that she had heard. Then she frowned. Ron and Harry braced themselves with Dawn reprimanding them of the stunt they had pulled.

"Damn it! I would have loved to see the three-headed dog!" Dawn exclaimed dropping to the sofa.

Harry and Ron looked at each other then started to laugh. They definitely didn't expect that response from her.

"But what do you think's under that trap door?" Dawn asked suddenly standing back up.
"I have no idea," Harry said as Ron only shrugged.
"Well. I suppose it's getting late. We have charms tomorrow," Dawn said changing the topic. "Goodnight Harry. Goodnight Ron."

Dawn quickly grabbed her book and started up the stairs into the dorm.

**

Dawn was sitting in the Great Hall having breakfast while she had her nose in her book.

"Dawn, where are your friends?" Dawn looked up from the book to see Devin sitting across from her with a smile.
"I think Hermione's in the library. Ron and Harry are coming. I woke up early to read this." Dawn showed the book 'To Kill a Mockingbird' to Devin.
"Oh, I remember reading that. How do you like it so far?" Devin asked.
"I like it. It's very similar to the wizarding world. I think it's fascinating that muggles are struggling with problems like ours," Dawn said as she placed her bookmark in the book and closing it.

Devin smiled. He loved reading and he loved having conversations about the books with his sister. It was the thing that really bonded them. Although she was two years younger than him, she was very clever and sharp. Devin did secretly hoped and thought that she was going to be sorted into Ravenclaw with him, but he was glad that she was sorted into Gryffindor where the twins and Ron could look after her. Devin didn't like to admit it, but he was very protective over his sister. 

"Well! If it isn't little Merlin!" Dawn and Devin heard the familiar sound of Fred booming as he entered the Great Hall making everyone's head turn to them.
"One day, I'm going to put a silencing charm on him," Dawn said as Devin laughed.