Chapter 27: Ezrynn

February 18: Why?

Corbin came home yesterday morning with a cold, admitting to spending the night in the woods.
With Megan.
Megan ended up sick also, so it looks like today will be uneventful.

School's been normal, but Camden still doesn't show.
I guess he's homeschooled now.

I shove my back pack one more time, and it finally fits into the crammed locker.
Guess what? I forgot my books.
I sigh before yanking on the bag with all of my body weight, which obviously isn't enough, needing to get my supplies.
"Need a little help?" A male voice from behind me offers.
I turn around to face him, and my heart flutters as I gasp.
He looks just like Ky. My...my brother.
"Or not..." He sounds embarrassed. "Sorry, I only figured you needed it...I should mind my manners."
"No, no, it's not a bother, I..." I scratch my head. "Yes, please, would you help me? I seem to be in sort of a pickle."
"I can see that." He smiles at me. I smile back. His smile wavers, and he looks at me almost...almost expectantly. "Uh, can I...can I get through?"
"Oh!" I feel heat in my cheeks. "Sorry!"
I move out of the way so he can yank out my pack.
He grunts, and when it comes out of the locker he stumbles.
"Goodness, miss, what've you got in here?"
"'Algebra 1', 'The History of the NorthWest', 'Tech-tonic Plates and Their Affects', 'The Wonders of Admery De Albret',--"
"Yes, yes, I get it, Smart Alec." He says, laughing. "Go look up the definition of a 'rhetorical question' for me, eh?" He chuckles still, and I fight to keep tears at bay; his laugh sounds like Ky's.
"But why?" I joke. "I already know that a rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point, rather than to elicit an answer."
He sakes his head, still chuckling.
"You are a Smart Alec! That's a straight dictionary definition, is it not?"
"Yes, yes it is." I laugh also, only it's not real, but simply a show. I cannot be amused with this sickening of my heart.
"Well, here you are." He hands over my pack. "And off I'll be, don't want to miss the first day here. I'm new." He winks at me.
"I'm old." I wink at him. "Do you know the way to your classes?"
"No, but I'll have to manage."
"Who've you got now?"
He looks down at his schedule.
"Ms. Gust-ing?" He sounds it out.
"You mean Gasting? I've got her, too!"
"Oh, cool! So...you mind assisting me?"
"Yes, I do mind. I don't want to help you, especially after you offered to help me." I say, sarcastic.
"Well, then...be that way!" He pretends to pout.
"No, I'm serious." I say, and it sounds as if I'm telling the truth.
"Oh...well then...see you 'round..." And he starts to walk off.
"Wait!"
He turns back towards me, and when he sees my smile, he gets one of his own.
"I shall assist you, under one condition."
"And the condition is?"
"Your name."
"Will I get yours in return?"
"You'll have to take a chance."
He rolls his eyes.
"Okay, whatever, I'll just keep calling you Smart Alec."
"Fine." I say in mock surrender.
He looks down to smile at me.
"I'm Kyle."
And all goes black.