32: Chain Reactions and Revelations

When we break away, taking big shaky breaths, the situation finally hits me and I stumble back away from Matt.
"Oh god no." I put my head in my hands and grasp my hair tightly. "I've just ruined everything."
Suddenly Matt's breath is fanning my face again so I know he's in front of me.
"Cam what do you mean, I'm sorry I shouldn't have just kissed you."
His words go in one year and out the other, and for once in my life I decide to be rash. Our friendship is already over I might as well make the most of it. Even when people say they will remain friends after an awkward situation like this it never works out, the glue always dissolves.
Making up my mind I drop my hands chuck off my glasses and grab Matt's head.
Pulling him towards me I crush my lips against his. Caught unsuspecting he freezes momentarily before digging his hands into my long hair and pulling me closer to him.
His tongue traces my bottom lips and he pries my mouth open deepening the kiss. My body is flush against his our hands dug into and tugging gently on the others hair.
We move backwards until my back is pressed against the wall, and a groan escapes me as one of his hands moves down to the small of my back to pull me tighter against him, I don't know how we got any closer but we did.
I drop one of my hands to run over his shoulders and down to rest on his hard chest.
After several minutes we pull away fractionally breathing hard, on my fourth deep breath another sharp pain lances through my right side and I grasp onto Matt with one hand while holding my side with the other.
Matt holds me up firmly for several minutes until the pain disappears enough for me to straighten up.
"Cam what's wrong?" I wave his question away before walking over and falling onto my bed exhausted.
The bed dips and Matt lays down next to me.
"Sooooo......." I whisper, I hear him chuckle lowly and the butterflies make their reappearance. "I get that the kiss didn't mean anything to you-"
"It meant everything" I suck in a sharp breath at his words and at him rolling over so he's hovering over me. "Cam that kiss meant everything I wish I could say in words." His piercing eyes look straight into me, and behind the nervousness I can tell he's telling the truth.
"You mean.... You like me?" The words sound so foreign on my tongue, and the thought so silly coming out of my mouth I blush hard but he only smiles softly.
"More than you know."
I beam right back up at him.
"I wouldn't bet on that." I raise an eyebrow and continue. "I like you quite a bit too."
His smiles starts a chain reaction with our mouths.
First his pearly whites flash, and then mine, and then his soft lips are on mine, and then mine on his.

I can tell you this chain reaction was a lot less boring than the one we learned about in science.

-----------------------------------

The weeks flew by, one by one. Filled with kisses, laughs, awkward situations, and relief from me at Caleb's departure. But with his promise that they would return soon my relief wasn't as happy a normal.

Me and Matt were practically inseparable, I don't mean that literally, like we were kissing all the time or worse. I mean it as we did so much together, went on several dates together including the movies, to dinner, and the bowling alley.

But not everything was perfect, the pain I had felt started returning more frequently and lasted longer. But me being my normal stubborn self I didn't confront anyone about it. Matt is the only one who knows.

But on a happier note, tomorrow I'm leaving with Matt and his family for the ski resort.
Tomorrow is the first Friday of Thanksgiving break and we won't be returning until next Tuesday.
In time to be back for a big Thanksgiving, but gone enough time to enjoy ourselves.

When the news of mine and Matt's update in our relationship emerged the parents immediately went into "no opposite gender together" mode but we eventually convinced our parents to get over it.

And get over it they did, my mom took me shopping for winter gear, and baked me so many sweets I have to take another bag just to haul them all.
And in the last few months I had spent more time with Matt's family than I had even spent with my own grandparents.
I had become extremely close with Abby and I absolutely adored their little brother Caleb.
But unlike my Caleb he was all smiles and laughs.

Not only had I fallen for Matt but now for his family.
And as I pack the last of my clothes and zip the case closed, I wonder how in the world I got so lucky.