5:Strikes and Storms

"You must be new around here.?" Even though it was a question, it seemed like he already knew the answer. I sit on the bench across from the counter to change shoes. I answer as I slip off my converse.

"I moved from Ireland. Got here last night." I slip on the bowling shoes and start to lace them.

"Wow. like the country?" Jake asks as he leans on his elbows against the counter.

"No, like the planet." I stand up and start testing balls.

"Haha, try the light blue one."

I pick it up and sure enough, it's perfect. I walk to the closest lane and sit down, writing my name on the clipboard attached to the ball conveyor. Auto's old fashioned but hey. I walk up to the front of the lane and get into a stance, I raise the ball and watch the line out of one eye.

"So you're here with Matt Preston huh?"

I block him out as I swing back and release for the perfect strike. I allow myself a small smile, but when I'm in the zone for something I am literally in a zone. I remember that Jake asked me something as I wait for my ball to come back to me.

"Oh yeah, your question." I glance at him, and at his nod, I start to continue. "Well y-"

"Yes, she's here with me," Matt answers as he walks up to the lane beside me.

"Well, thanks Cameron. And go get some bowling shoes." I pick up my ball that has finally come through and again release it for a strike.

"Not too bad Cam. but I bet I can do be-" I turn to face him.

"I'm not playing you till you change your shoes." I point to his black sneakers and then to Jake, who watches us with intrigued eyes.

"I don't wear those ugly things, Cam." He crosses his arms and faces me.

"Well excuse me." I tap my heels together. "Then I guess you'll never have to be shamed by me beating you."

He looks like he's about to argue more, but with a final huff he stalks towards the counter and tells, or more like orders Jake his shoe size.

My ball clangs back into the conveyor holder and I scoop it up heading for the front of my lane.

I raise the ball, sight the pins, and right when I'm about to let the ball go when a voice screams boo in my ear, and the ball goes flying straight into the gutter as I jump and scream. I spin around and land a solid punch to whoever just scared me before I come to my senses.

I look at a cringing Matt, who is holding his arm and looking at me with wariness.

"You better be glad it wasn't the bowling ball, you nitwit." I turn away from him and try to hide my small laugh. But it doesn't matter because a chorus of claps and cheers sound from the group of baddies, their official name as of now.

I turn to the group and give a bow, which gets me cheers and whistles from the boys, and even dirtier sneers from the girls.

I turn back around to grab my cycled ball and let it swing into another perfect strike. I'm usually pretty good but today I'm just on fire.

I turn and send Matt a smirk as he shakes out his multi-colored bowling shoes and lets his ball slide into a play that leaves one pin standing.

"Nice shoes," I say as he knocks down the other pin on the next try.

"Why thank you, it looks like we are twinning. Again." He says mockingly.

"Oh shut it, car thief." I swing into a play that leaves two pins standing but I finish them off on my next throw.