twenty four

Billy sat in his office, reviewing the plays for the upcoming game.

He repeatedly checked his phone, waiting for the hourly update on Haiden.

"No, that isn't right.." He whispered, modifying the play.

The sound of a throat clearing suddenly grabbed his attention. His eyes landed on Arturo leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed.

"Billy! Good morning."

"Decker. Can I help you with something?"

Arturo chuckled.

"Just checking on you. I didn't know you'd be here."

"Why wouldn't I be here?" Billy chuckled, tilting his head.

"Yeah. What am I thinking? Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"You're already going, why stop?"

Arturo cleared his throat, ignoring Billy's sarcasm.

"I have an idea for Friday's game. We would need to move some players around but I think it'll get us that championship."

"You can't just move these boys around." Billy denied.

"They're supposed to be universal, right? What better way to master the field than by experiencing each position?"

"You don't think I do that now? This isn't Legos, Arturo. They're not pieces you can just place anywhere and still receive the same result. This is a team who thrives just the way we are."

"That's exactly what I'm saying. The boys only have experience in their own position. What if you're down some players? Jeremy can't play Will's position because he knows nothing about linebacking. You know what that means? A lost game."

Billy closed his book, standing up and walking around his desk. He partially sat on the desk, crossing his arms with a smirk.

"I'm sorry. Who's the head coach here? Is it you- oh, wait, it's me. I don't know if you forgot but you are an addition to this team. And if we're honest, I'm being generous by letting you stay."

Arturo grumbled, crossing his arms.

A few feet away, Jordan entered the locker room. He needed a workout to release the tension and stress from his chaotic life.

"You've got to be kidding me." He grumbled when he spotted Arturo.

Billy moved toward the door, curious of what caught Decker's attention. Jordan scoffed; his gym bag hit the floor as he charged toward the teacher.

The adults turned to the teenager; Billy swiftly jumping into action.

"How could you touch her!? She's a kid! A kid, dude! Get off me!" Jordan shouted, pushing Billy away who stopped him from attacking the man.

"Jordan! Compose yourself!"
Billy commanded.

"I'm starting to feel threatened! I don't appreciate the insensitive accusations." Arturo stated, snickering.