thirty six

"Hey, dad."

"Hey." Billy hugged
Liv back.

"When'd you get here?"

"It's... it's pizza Monday." He said, looking to Laura.

"Is that a thing or..."

"No, it is not a thing." Laura replied, lightly laughing.

"I had a coach's meeting on this side of town. I decided I'd grab some pizza and hang out with some of my favorite people."

"Some? Who isn't your favorite?" Haiden asked.

Billy chuckled, looking between the three women awaiting his answer. He was relieved when a knock at the door sounded before it opened.

"Speaking of my favorite people.. Dad."

"Son." Willie oddly looked at Billy.

"Willie." Laura acknowledged him.

"D. A. Baker. Congratulations, by the way. I heard good things while I was in Florida, especially the work you're doing for black folks."

Billy scoffed, crossing his arms. He knew where this was going.

"Not enough to get you an invite to the cookout just yet, but, you know, one day."

"What are you doing here, dad? When'd you get back into town?"

"Uh, a couple days ago. He... he surprised me at practice." Jordan replied, coming in after Willie and shutting the door.

"You know, phones work, too." Billy commented.

"Um, so, look, while I have you both here, is it cool if G.W. joins us for a family dinner this week or..."

"Yeah, that... that's fine." Laura reluctantly accepted Jordan's request.

"Great. I can get some quality time with my grandkids."

"Quality time with me?" Liv questioned.

"Isn't it time I get to know you better, too? Haiden as well."

"Well, in that case, why don't we have a cookout, and we can invite my mom?" Jordan suggested.

"Ha!" Billy laughed, glancing to Laura as Willie chuckled.

"I like this one."

Billy and Laura shared another look before she cleared her throat.

"Well, I should go. I actually have a conference call."

"Yeah, 'cause you might want to get..." Billy agreed, trailing off.

"Super important." Laura added.

Willie chuckled, paying them no mind as he nudged liv.

"So, you're the one who put Crenshaw Cathy out of business."

"Me and my small legion of fans. Um, no, they're the real heroes."

"And here I thought the long tradition of Baker radicals was ending with me. So, I was thinking we should get in some work on the field after your team photos." Willie told Jordan.

Haiden chuckled to herself at how fast he switched subjects.

"Uh, actually, G.W., I don't think I'm gonna be at the team photo tomorrow."

"Hold up. Why?" Billy questioned.

"Uh, Simone needs my help with something that's really important."

"Son, what could be more important than your teammates?" Willie inquired, putting his hands in his pockets.

"Who wants dessert?" Liv asked, hoping to cut the awkwardness.

"I do." Billy agreed.

"Yeah, me, too. Um, G.W., will you give me a hand?" Liv requested.

"It's just some fancy little cookies. How heavy could they be, huh?"

"Ahem!" Billy loudly cleared his throat, giving his father a look.

Willie rolled his eyes, following Liv to the kitchen. Laura looked to Billy then  Jordan.

"Look, honey, I'm super proud of how you've stuck by Simone, but maybe your grandfather's right."

"Laura." Billy called in a warning tone.

"Billy, it's his senior year of school. He's got a lot to juggle. I just think it's time maybe Simone learned to stand on her own."

Jordan scoffed, not believing what he was hearing.

"Look, our concern is coming from a place of love, all right? We're just asking... We're... Trusting that while you're helping your friends, you don't lose sight of your priorities."

"You guys just... You don't understand."

"Then help us understand, babe. Talk to us." Laura begged.

"It's fine, but I'm all talked out for the evening."

"All right, if you don't want to talk to us, that's fine, but please talk to somebody, and make sure that somebody has your best interests at heart." Billy told him.

"Cookies." Haiden said, focusing their attention on something else.

Jordan walked away while the others were consuming the fresh cookies. Haiden followed her brother to his room, sitting on the bed next to him.

"What's up with you?"

Jordan sighed, looking to the ground.

"Simone is taking her son back. She's going over to the parents' house tomorrow."

"Oh. You going with her?"

"I don't know. It's the same time as our team photo. You see what G.W. thinks, mom and dad, too. Why is everyone so concerned that I'm too wrapped up in Simone?"

"It's not that. To me, you said football is your life, your everything. As passionate as you are about football, neglecting your team while Montes is in charge isn't a good move."

"Simone is a part of my everything."

"That's fine, Jay. But did Simone ask you to come? Did she verbally ask you to come with her to get baby Shay?"

"No."

"There are other ways to support her. You've gotta live your life too, Jay. If football is as important as you say and Simone truly loves you, she'll understand."

Jordan sighed, hoping she was right.