thirty seven

"Good luck."

Liv was confused by Haiden's words until she rounded the corner. Laura smiled, holding up a small plate of food. 

"It is your 18-month sober anniversary, right?"

"Oh... Um, yeah. I just didn't realize you were gonna... Make it, like, a breakfast.

"Well, I wanted you to know that we remembered. Uh, Jordan had to go to morning practice, but we're all gonna be there for your next meeting when you get your chip."

Liv cleared her throat, glancing to the floor.

"It's really sweet, but, um, 18-month chips aren't really a big deal. I've even heard some call them, like, "Whiner chips." heh! Anyway, I've been going to a closed meeting, so only other addicts allowed."

"Oh, okay. Does that mean you can't even have a bagel from Sam's?" Laura sadly asked.

Liv smiled, feeling the truth ready to slip from her lips.

"It's beautiful, and I love it, thank you, but I... am late, so I will eat on the way. I love you."

"Okay. Love you."

Liv rushed up the stairs, sighing in relief when she saw her mother pulling out of the driveway.

Soon after, Haiden turned her head, seeing Billy enter the home. He smiled to her before stopping Liv who was rushing past him.

He looked at the green drink in her hand, chuckling.

"You don't eat real food anymore?"

"This is real food. It's just chopped up really small."

"You sure you don't want anything else, uh--"

"You talked to mom, didn't you?" Liv bluntly asked.

"Hm?" Billy hummed, failing at pretending to be clueless.

"Oh, my god. I knew I should have just eaten that breakfast."

"Too late." Haiden said, chewing the bacon.

"Liv, look, we're just checking up on you like we talked about, like you said you wanted."

"Yeah, I asked you to support my sobriety. I didn't mean throw me chip parties and monitor my eating."

Billy scoffed, crossing his arms.

"Okay, that's not fair. Look, we're just trying to understand what has changed."

"I'm not the one who's changed, dad."

"Oh, what's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that our family isn't the same family it was. I mean, last year, I felt like you guys were ignoring my issues to protect the perfect family image... Now, it feels like I'm the barometer for whether you and mom are doing just as good apart as you were together. It's exhausting."

Billy glanced to a watchful Haiden then back to Liv.

"We're all trying to figure this out. I'm sorry. I know that the separation hasn't been easy for you guys, either."