(1) Meeting the Marauders

Friday September 7, 1977

As Adina Stahl was dragged along behind her mother, she looked into The Three Broomsticks. She had never been inside, but it looked very nice. In the window she saw four boys sitting around drinking Butterbeer. They were all smiling and laughing.

One of them looked out the window and saw her. He had curly sandy brown hair, chocolate brown eyes, and lots of scars all over his face. He made eye contact with the young girl but she was quickly dragged away again by her mother.

"Hurry up you good for nothing brat," Francis Stahl, Adina's mother.

"S- Sorry Mother," Adina apologized quickly, so as to not make her mother more angry.

It was a cloudy day and they would be expecting it to start raining any second. Normal day for Scotland. Adina loved going out, even if it was with her mother, because otherwise she would be locked in her tiny room the whole day.

Her parents never made her feel loved at all. They treated her horribly, but she had no other experience.

"I am almost done here, then I am taking you home," Francis yelled at her trembling daughter.

Adina knew all too well that her mother was angry, which meant she would have in for her when they got home.

As Adina continued to be dragged behind her mother she tripped on a rock and fell to the ground.

"YOU WORTHLESS LITTLE GIRL!" Francis screeched, "GET OVER HERE THIS INSTANT!"

Adina tried to pull herself off the ground as fast as she could and stood in front of her raging mother. She had tears in her eyes but knew better than to start crying in front of her mother.

"I- I am s- sorry m- mother," she squeaked out.

"Damn right you're sorry," her mother hissed. She grabbed Adina's arm and dragged her behind Gladrags Wizardwear. Before they got behind the store, Adina heard the door to The Three Broomsticks close. She saw the same sandy haired boy from before. He was talking to his mates but looking at her.

It was dark behind the store, and no one else was around. Adina was terrified, and trembling under her mothers grip. Francis threw Adina to the ground and started yelling at the little girl.

"HOW CAN YOU NOT EVEN WALK RIGHT? YOU ARE COMPLETELY USELESS!" Her mother continued to scream insults at the little girl who was now sobbing. "WHY ARE YOU CRYING? IF I HAD BEEN THIS RUDE TO MY MOTHER, MERLIN KNOWS WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED!"

Adina tried to hold in her sobs so as not to make her mother any angrier. Her mother only got this angry once in a while, and Adina knew what would come next.

"Get up! Get up!" Francis screamed. Adina scrambled to get up and wiped away some of her tears.

The moment that she stood up her mother slapped Adina right across the face making her fall back down on the ground. Not before Adina hit her head on the brick wall behind her.

Everything became blurry and she had a pounding headache. Her mother spoke again but Adina couldn't hear her over the ringing in her ears.

"Find your own way home," was all she was able to make out from her mothers speech. She saw the blurry version of her mother walk away.

Adina tried to speak but nothing came out. She felt very nausea all of the sudden and threw up all over the grass next to her. She tried to collect her legs and just sat in the dark shivering and crying.

It started to rain which made her two times colder. She heard someone talking, but it felt distant. The ringing in her ear started to fade until it was almost completely gone.