Prologue

Wednesday March 23, 1972

Three year old Adina Stahl sat in the dark, cold basement shivering. Her short brown hair was a complete mess. Her hazel eyes were filled with tears.

Only a few more hours and you can go back up stairs to the warmth. Adina told herself.

She had spoken out of term to her father, so he tossed her down here without a second thought. She knew this was all her fault and that she shouldn't have spoken to her father. She had no one to blame but herself.

Her stomach gurgled very loud, she was starving. She hadn't eaten in over a day and she couldn't take it. Even whenever she did get back up stairs she would have to steal some food from the pantry.

She spent the rest of her time in the basement thinking about how wonderful it will be when she makes it back up stairs, even if her parents are up there. Anything would be better than being down there in the darkness.

"Adina! Get back up here!" Her father yelled from the top of the stairs. She scrambled to stand up and toddled over to the bottom of the stairs. As fast as she could manage, she crawled up the stairs.

Once she got to the final step she looked up to see her father, angry as ever, glaring down at her. He dragged her by her hair to the kitchen.

She looked out the window to see that it was pitch black outside, meaning it was very late in the evening. There was no chance she was getting dinner tonight.

"Clean up, your mother and I are going to bed now so you clean up the mess. Don't try to sneak any food. I will know," he ordered, before stomping upstairs and slamming his bedroom door.

She quickly did the dishes and cleared the table. As soon as she was done she tiptoed to the refrigerator. Extremely quietly she opened it and saw some left over from dinner. It was just the potatoes, but that was more than enough for her to last the night.

She pulled the container out of the fridge and quietly shut the door. She grabbed a spoon and started eating. They were cold, but she didn't care, as long as some food touched her tongue tonight, she would be happy.

Just as she was almost done eating her parents' door creaked. She tried to clean up before they came down stairs; she did not succeed.

She spent the next two days, freezing in the basement.