Chapter 2 - Getting to know my friends...and foes

"Welcome to Berk! Twelve days north of Hopelessness and a few degrees south of Freezing to death. Located solidly on the Meridian of Misery."

The clouds part and I see the island of Berk. Two, large, stone vikings litter the sea before the wharf which is littered with boats. The island is beautiful, and I see dragons. Dragons! And vikings! Living together in peace and harmony! Is that possible? Last time I checked, we were in an outright war.

"Wow."

"Pretty cool isn't it?" says Hiccup.

"Hell yeah!"

He laughs and he drops down towards Berk, and I follow with Ruthless.

Is this what I want? To live with people and dragons? Is there more Night Furies here? Will we fit in? More importantly, will I fit in?

Ruthless grunts. 'This place is okay.'

"Hey, you were the one that talked me into this" I say. "Plus It might provide us with protection."

She makes an unimpressed sound. 'We don't need protection.'

I roll my eyes. "Trappers won't be able to catch us here."

And they won't be able to hurt Hiccup.

Ruthless grunts. 'They couldn't catch us anyway.'

"Technically, they did" I whisper.

'Technically, I don't care' she grunts.

I roll my eyes again and Ruthless extends her wings out and we land on the island.

Beautiful wooden houses stand before me, with little perches for the dragons as they fly around. A red Terrible Terror lands on my shoulder and I rub my hand under it's chin. It squawks, then hears another call him, and flies off.

A green, baby SnaffleFang comes up to me and nuzzles my leg and I bend down and rub it's head. It moans in delight and licks my hand, making me laugh. It's mother calls her and she jumps away, barking a 'bye' before running off, flapping it's wings wildly.

A Viking man passes me and he gives me a once over and scowls, hauling a dead sheep over his shoulder. I see another Viking child point at Ruthless, then to me and his mother ushers him away, scolding him.

A few other Vikings see Ruthless, and it looks like they are going to faint.

Worry creeps up me. Will I be accepted? Will they like me? Is there people like me?

"Ember? You right?"

I look to Hiccup as he stands next to Toothless, looking like he feels awkward. Toothless flashes Ruthless a toothless smile and Ruthless rolls her eyes, though a grin is plastered onto her face.

"Im fine" I sigh.

"Good. I want to show you 'the gang'."

"The gang?"

This 'gang' sounds intimidating.

"My friends."

Oh, that makes more sense.

"You have friends?" I say mockingly.

He softly laughs, rolling his eyes. "Oh...very funny."

I follow Hiccup through the town, Ruthless behind me, eyes scouting the area for any threats. She growls when people look at me and I stop the urge to tell her to stop. She's only protecting me.