Chapter 21 - Burning skin

"Ember! Where are you going?!"

"I'm leaving Eret!" I yell back, walking towards the docks, away from him.

"You can't...you can't just--"

"Oh, I can" I spit. "No one needs me. No one cares."

"I...I care! We all do!"

I stop, turning around to face him. I feel my anger spike, so I close my eyes to calm myself down.

I am no longer wearing that stupid green dress, and I'm back in my own, brown and black suit with the cloth draped over my shoulders.

I growl at him. "This is what I mean Eret! They all like me...for my looks! Because I am a Wildsoul!"

He widens his eyes as I say it out loud but I don't care, to be frank.

"They don't know me! They just see me and they fall head over heels! I hate that! It makes me feel...it makes me feel...ugh! No one cares for me! No one loves me!"

Eret looks to his feet, deep in thought.

I'm leaving.

I had stood from the base of that tree, wiped away my tears and stalked home. No one else was there; not even the Furies, or even Cloudjumper. So, I grabbed my things and I was just heading to the docks when Eret found me.

I have done something horrible. Hiccup kissing me was...it felt like I was breaking the law.

Hiccup fell under the spell that my appearance casts. Just like all the other boys. He doesn't love me for me; he just saw me. That's all he sees. Some pretty, redheaded girl with a perfect body, and a perfect face. Even my scars haven't messed my body up.

"Don't leave" says Eret after a while of us just standing here. "I...I need you."

I laugh, turning back around and continuing on my way. "Your like all the rest of them Eret. They all need me. They just...they just...are attracted to me."

"No! I'm not like them! I'm...I'm different!"

"No your not!" I spit, taking the golden night fury ring off that I had made, and I throw it, not seeing where it lands.

"Trust me! I'm...I'm not!"

I don't slow my pace, and I feel my hands ball into fists. "Yeah? How!"

"Because I'm actually in love with you!"

I freeze, my heart beating rapidly in my chest.

Because I'm actually in love with you.

I slowly turn, and I stare into Eret's hazel eyes. He takes slow steps towards me, and I find myself wanting to back away.

"I know you Ember...I know you more than you'd ever know. And I love...everything about you. Not just your looks...but your personality. I can't pick out a single flaw."

"I-I c-c-can pick out s-s-several" I whisper.

He slowly shakes his head, taking more steps towards me. Every time, I feel my heart beat get faster. It is beating so hard, I'm afraid Eret can hear it.

"Not a single one."

I take a step away from him, but he is now right in front of me, and I can feel his warm breath tickle my nose. His breath smells like strawberries and cream.

He slowly reaches out and grabs me by the waist, and I feel my eyes widen as he does. He caresses a hand down the side of my face with his other hand, and my breath shudders.