Chapter 13 - Take a leap of Faith or a fall of Fear

A S T R I D

"Where's Hiccup?" I ask as I walk into his house, looking to Valka who is sitting in front of the fire, stroking Cloudjumpers back as she stares into the flames.

"Exploring" she sighs, running a finger through Cloudjumpers spines.

I stiffen slightly. "Exploring? But...he's Chief."

She sighs, running a hand through her hair. "He requested that you and I run the village while he's gone."

"Where is he though?" I ask, then I look around and I feel my eyes narrow. "And where is Ember?"

Valka chuckles. "Isn't it obvious?"

She's with Hiccup. Oh, of course she's with my boyfriend. Alone...together.

I shudder at the thought.

"When will they be back?" I ask, hanging my axe up on a hook.

"Tomorrow sometime" says Valka, staring back into the flames.

I stiffen. "With Ember?"

She nods, a small laugh escaping her lips. "You don't like that?"

"Not one bit" I snarl.

Valka pats the spot next to her on the couch and I slowly walk to her, sitting down. She stops patting Cloudjumper and turns to face me, grabbing both of my hands.

"You have to listen to me Astrid."

I gulp.

"I haven't seen Hiccup this happy since we found each other. I mean, yeah, he's smiled, acted cheery, but I am always see right through him...I always see the sadness in his heart. He feels like an outsider...no matter what happens."

"But not with me, right?"

She softly smiles. "He...he cares for you Astrid. He does. You make him happy...but there's always this darkness that hangs around him when he's with you...like a little bit of anger that won't go away."

I bite my lip.

She sighs. "It's the same with me. He said he forgave me for leaving him for twenty years but...but he yelled at me today, accusing me of not being there for him. And it started when I called him son."

I look to the fire, away from Valka's eyes that remind me so much of Hiccups.

"Hiccup doesn't let things go easily" says Valka, softly grabbing my chin and turning my head so I face her. "He can never let things go...so tell me Astrid, what happened to him when you were young? What placed that darkness in his heart?"

Oh...crap. This...this is not good.

"Stuff" I reply softly.

Valka raises an eyebrow. "Stuff?"

I gulp, looking away from her eyes but she softly turns my head so I stare into her eyes again.

"Look me in the eye Astrid, tell me what is so wrong with my son."

I sigh, my eyes starting to build up tears but I rapidly blink them to chug them back. "He was...mistreated."

"By who?" she asks, her eyes widening slightly.

"Everyone" I whisper.

Her eyes widen again and she releases my hands, looking to me shocked. "Even you?"

I gulp. "Everyone."

"How?" she asks, her voice almost cold.

I squeeze my eyes shut, then open them again. I take a deep breath, looking her in the eye. "He was beaten, bullied, pushed and punched. The gang used to corner him and start bashing him, accusing him of being a wimp. I...I was a part of it also."