Chapter 12 - Vigilantes

"Ember...." says Hiccup, then a laugh escapes his lips. "You have soup all over you!"

Confused, I sit up and I groan as I see that the sticky substance isn't blood, it's my breakfast. The dagger has shattered the bowl, and it lays beside me.

Oh...I thought...I thought...

Of course you weren't hit. There was no pain. Ember, you're an idiot.

I stand, wiping off some of the soup. I look up to see the twins throwing knifes at a board, and I don't think they realise that they almost got me.

Soon, this luck of mine is going to run out.

I turn to the laughing Hiccup and a smirk spreads across my face. I open my arms up and I walk towards him. "C'mere Hiccup. I wanna hug."

"No-no! No! I'm fine!" he says, backing away.

"COME HERE!" I laugh and he turns, about to run off but I quickly bend down, grabbing his peg leg, tripping him over.

I laugh as he quickly scrambles up. "Why did you-?"

I throw my arms around him, squeezing him, then I release myself and I walk back home.

"Oh, that's why" he mutters to himself.

••~•~••~•~••~•~••~•~••~•~••~•~••

A S T R I D

I throw my axe from one hand to the other, whistling. I hear a roar and I look up to see Hookfang fly over me, Snotlout riding him. I look back to the ground, still throwing my axe between my hands. I look up and see a man and a woman, holding hands and my chest tightens.

Hiccup has been chief for almost a year. I have hardly been able to spend time with him, and then this girl comes along and I see him with her.

Always with her!

I don't like Ember. I won't deny it. When I first saw her, I thought she was alright. But...but then I was hit with a gut feeling. She's hiding...something. I know she is. I'm probably being all judgemental and stuff, but something is off with her.

I am not jealous. I know how Hiccup feels about me. It's just...it's just....oh I don't know! I just don't like her!

And there's something about her name. I have heard Hiccup say it before...after the battle with the Red Death...a...a few months after. I remember him saying it as he was waking up. Ember.

Maybe he said something else and I am just being paranoid, but I swear that's what he said.

Another thing I am paranoid about. Those men in the woods...they have suddenly disappeared. I mean, I remember seeing their faces around Berk, but now...I can't see them anyway. I have been keeping a careful eye out for them...and that girl.

Who was that? Who would save me like that?

"Excuse me, I need your help."

I turn around to face a boy I have not seen before. He has black hair combed over to the side and deep blue eyes. His skin is tan, and he has a pretty good build. It's not broad...or thick...it's...it's just...it's just right.

Okay. I'll admit it. He's hot. But it's not like I'm crushing on him, I just think he's the second best looking man on Berk.

After Hiccup.

"Oh?" I say, surprised.

He holds out his hand. "I'm Ethan. I'm new here."

"I'm Astrid" I say, shaking his hand. "What do you need help with?"