29. Katie Bell's Famous Punch

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
content warning:
alcohol consumption and mild sexual content
| as always, nothing graphic |
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

August 1999

George had no reason to object to Charlie hosting Verity's birthday party at the flat, he had been living at the Burrow for more than two months now after all. But he couldn't deny that the idea of being around alcohol stressed him out a bit.

He knew his friends would never directly pressure him to get drunk. Regardless, the temptation would be there just by watching them all have fun drinking with one another. The conscious decision to stay sober was something he took very seriously for several reasons, but they all boiled down to the simple fact that he just didn't like himself or the decisions he made while he was drunk.

Verity's birthday fell on a Thursday this year, but they decided to have the party the following Saturday night. Thanks to the shop now closing around 4:30, there was plenty of time to finish closing up as well as set up the flat for the party before any guests would arrive.

But instead of helping set up, George decided to drop by the Burrow before going to the party. Verity had told him earlier in the week that there would only be a handful of people there, so he wasn't too concerned about leaving her and Charlie to set up on their own so he could go home and freshen up. But that didn't stop Verity from calling him lazy as he disapparated.

The summer heat as well as the crowded store was not a good mix and he always felt gross by the end of the day. So after apparating to the Burrow, he quickly showered and changed into a red and black flannel shirt and an old pair of jeans before making his way back to the flat.

When he entered the party, it almost felt like he had gone back in time. Angelina, Verity, and Lee were sitting on the couch as Katie sat in a nearby armchair. The four of them were chatting away and laughing with one another just like the old days. But Eloise and Charlie's presence in the room was the only thing that brought him to the present, making him feel as though he wasn't truly back in the Gryffindor common room.

The sight of Eloise getting along with all of his oldest friends made his heart swell. Of course he never had a doubt that she'd make a perfect first impression. While she could be quite shy, she was also very kind to everyone right off the bat. He knew they'd all love her.

Since it was his home, George didn't feel it was necessary to announce his arrival as he made his way to the kitchen. But as soon as Verity noticed him walking across the room, she jumped up from the couch and practically skipped over to him.

"Yes, Ver?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I hope you don't mind, but I invited a few more people over than I mentioned before."

"How many is a few?"

"Just a few." she smiled innocently before skipping back over to the group.

He furrowed his brows at the girl, she hadn't answered his question at all. Before George had even gotten his shoes off, Ron and Hermione as well as Ginny and Harry had entered the flat.

Alright, they're family, no big deal, he thought to himself as he greeted them all with a polite head nod.

When it became clear that George wasn't in the mood to mingle, Angelina pulled herself away from the group in the living room to join him in the kitchen. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed Lee fiddling with the radio to turn on some music but all of his attention was on Angelina.