67. Flying

Molly's fiftieth birthday celebration fell on the last Sunday afternoon of the month and, much to Eloise's surprise, the famous Celestina Warbeck did actually respond to Ginny's owl asking her to come perform.

The letter, however, did not have anything to do with Molly or the party. In fact, it gave no indication that the singer even read a single word that had been written on the parchment at all. Her response was merely a pre-written, impersonal thank you letter and signed autograph.

When she received it, Ginny was understandably quite annoyed. The famous singer couldn't even take time out of her day to write a real response, not even a simple 'Happy Birthday'. But the look on Molly's face when her daughter handed her the signed photo let Ginny know that out of everything, that particular gift seemed to be her favorite. So really, the youngest Weasley couldn't possibly stay angry.

The afternoon was lovely, filled with meals prepared with love by Eloise, Fleur, and Charlie, whose surprising talent for cooking seemed to have improve exponentially since his desperate attempt to impress Verity on their first Valentine's Day together. Ginny and Hermione handled all the decorations which were a lovely combination of Molly's favorite flowers and twinkling tea candles that floated above the table in the dining room.

Just after dinner, Eloise and Fleur excused themselves from the table in order to put the finishing touches on the cake. Once his girlfriend was no longer at his side, George glanced over at his mother who looked to be the happiest he had seen her in years.

"Could I have a word, mum?"

She looked up at him, breaking her attention away from little Victoire who Arthur had been bouncing on his knee. With a smile still on her face, she nodded and rose from the table.

They left the dining room and stood at the end of the hall, near the staircase. The clock that he'd known his whole life was just beside them. It had every single Weasley pointed exactly where they should be – home. Everyone including Fred.

At the sight, George let out a sigh. It was a confusing feeling, knowing that Fred was truly gone but still feeling his presence. Some days it felt cruel, like he would much prefer it if he could somehow forget ever having a twin at all. Other days it felt comforting, like he'd never truly be alone in this world.

Then his eyes fell to the newest hand on the clock, little baby Victoire. Their family was growing. Even Percy had brought a woman with him to dinner and George knew that if Fred were here, he'd laugh hysterically, saying something like he never thought he'd see the day where stuck up old Perce would catch the eye of a woman like Audrey.

Life moving on without Fred was something George had been fighting for so long – since the very moment he felt it in his soul that his brother had taken his last breath, all before he even saw his lifeless body on the floor of The Great Hall.

The immense emptiness that had followed him for years was something he was holding onto like an anchor. The guilt he felt at the notion that he was allowed to move on and find happiness of his own was what held him down, keeping him stuck in the past.

All of that only made George realize now more than ever that he could picture another hand on that clock right beside his.

"How did you know you loved dad?" he asked suddenly as he looked away from the clock and down at his mother.

Clearly surprised by his inquiry, Molly's eyes widened for a moment before a smile formed on her lips, "It's just something you know."

Although her answer was rather vague, George simply nodded and glanced towards the light that emanated from below the kitchen door.