:Part One: Chapter Six

~Chapter Six~

I glided smoothly into the chair across from him, and the whole table, and really what would be an interrogation without the audience at large, came to a standstill. It seemed even teachers were suddenly part of that audience.

I waited patiently as they assessed the threat. They knew what was coming next, considering they’d planned for a counter attack. Wow, I was going against a military raised man, actually. Was I delirious?

I slid the lovely basket I’d arranged with purple napkins onto the table. The purple I learned was his favourite colour, from a group of lovely girls with a passion to know everything about Elliot Dupree.

He finally sighed. He leaned back into his seat and, with a hand motion, he indicated I go on. Definitely an Alpha group, I thought smugly.

“As I haven’t had the pleasure of doing so,” I started. “I bid you good morrow, as the Scots say it. I bring with me,” I reached into the basket, and the guys leaned in to see closer, so did the cafeteria. I pulled it out. “A white flag.”

“What?” “No way!” “That’s a woman on a mission.” I sighed, dejectedly as I stuck the flag onto the basket side. “I am not cruel, Elliot, I hope you understand that. I merely did this to achieve a means, to which I admit, was purely selfish of me. My mother taught better,” be the thinker, “and it’s taken a few lessons, and superior challenge, to remind me of that.”

I was shocked when one teacher pulled out his wallet and handed a fifty to a smug other teacher. When did this happen?

The boys were falling for it, all except Elliot, whose guard was up. Great, here came the military block. “Please, have this,” I pushed the basket forward.

“Bet it is a stink bomb,” someone said.

I gasped, feigning offence. I turned to the person crossly. “I am not a horrible person. I just offered a white flag, that’s a truce from where I come from.”

“What’s in the basket?” Chris asked but I knew he knew.

I smiled. “Chocolate chip cookies, with a few other delicacies.” Eyes wide, all of Elliot’s friends didn’t need further encouragement as they reached for the basket. I managed to pull the white flag free before they knocked it off.

Cafeteria returned to normal chatter, most people shaking their heads in astonishment. Twirling the flag’s stick end in my hands, my heavy bangs were all that hid my expression from Elliot. I tossed them back, not needing any cover, but I spoke with him while watching under my lashes.

“I’m sorry for the past few days,” I apologised. Still, that calculating military offensive defence remained intact. “I’ve been a total madness, a dolt if you can call it. Again, the Scots call a mind like that a dunderheid. I just wanted you to work with me on the projects, and I hoped you’d maybe accept should I beat you. But I guess the military taught you well, huh?” I smiled, shyly tucking hair behind my ears.

I really was shy right at that moment. I watched astounded as his features actually warmed up and the mask cracked.

“I, um, here,” I reached out the flag to him. “It’s a truce, between us. I want things to become clear from henceforth.”

Hesitantly, he reached over. The flag was plucked from my hands with one swift tug. I grinned. Yes, finally… and I was even more surprised when Elliot grinned back.

No way! Nuh-uh! This wasn't possible. Forget breathtaking when it was all a cover-up smile, or when he was angry, try downright dangerous to a virgin’s heart when he grinned honestly. It wasn't possible.

And people noticed the grin. I couldn’t stop it. “You look good when you smile,” and then I blushed as he chuckled, and the cocky grin was back, but it was warmer.

“Good to know,” he said.

I stood up then, blinking rapidly and cheeks heated. “I, um, have to go,” I said. “Please help yourselves to…” I trailed off as I eyed a nearly empty basket. The guys shrugged.

“They’re pretty damn good,” Alex, I think, said.

I nodded gratefully at the compliment, and turned around without meeting Elliot’s gaze again. He’d done something so breathtaking, my heart was beating faster, my palms were sweating and suddenly the tie wasn't so great. Above all that, my stomach was feeling all light and stuff.

That wasn't right. He wasn't supposed to do that. I started panicking.

I couldn’t do this; I couldn’t betray someone who’d just decided to trust me. I was already taking steps away from him, when I glanced to Mr. Daniels, who looked dumped as he’d been the one to lose a bet.

I had a project to do, and I had a challenge to make too. I wasn't so confident, but I had to do my best.

I reached inside my pocket. “One more thing Elliot,” I tapped on the screen and it widened to show the transaction I’d captured, particularly the dealer. Elliot glanced up, and the moment I saw his eyes widen, I closed off all emotion.

All the boys coughed with shock as their eyes widened. “Where did you–” he trailed off, knowing exactly where I’d got it. “It was you.” His eyes showed it all, showed everything I’d been fearful of.

Betrayal. “You’re going to listen to me, Elliot, and this time, whether you like it or not, you’re going to do per my instructions.”

“Man, she got you!” Chris groaned, wide eyed and slightly impressed.

Having been obscured, Elliot shot up, and before I knew it, he’d grabbed the phone out of my hands. I shrieked a step away, before huffing.  Few taps later, the picture was deleted.

He waved the phone at me with glee, but eyes filled with fury. “That takes care of that,” he mocked.

I sighed, shaking my head distraughtly. “I was certain you were smarter than that, Elliot,” I said. “It seems there was a highly debauched error on my part. Do I look like a dunderheid to you, Elliot? Don’t you think I’d have a backup in case you did just that?” Elliot’s face was the perfect image for the sin ‘rage’. “‘Be a thinker’ my mother taught me, be smarter, wittier, charming,” I brushed back my hair from my neck, giggling. “Become woman as much as man. Listen here, Elliot. I will make this simple: you will be at the library down at Macy’s at school break, and we’ll work on that project to the end. You will come as Elliot Dupree, not Stoner, and I will expect you to participate as a student would when his life depended on it. I’ve never missed one assignment, I definitely am not a pushover, and I don’t expect to start now.”

“Or what?” he scoffed, eyes almost like the frozen arctic on summer.

I smiled eerily, “Someone will be getting the perfect description of a… certain number of problems,” I said sweetly. “And with it goes a lengthy video to be distributed to the school as hard copy. It’s something about a certain someone in a certain somewhere…” I blushed, giggling behind my hand. “Doing a certain something.” Elliot blushed as understanding dawned on him.

More fury radiated off of him after. Yes, my boy genius of a bother caught Elliot… um, masturbating. I blushed again as I remembered just the name he’d used.

“So much for N.S.A.; huh?” I smirked. “I warned you before Elliot. You don’t want me as an enemy. But it seems you’re too stubborn to understand that.”

I was having too much talk in this, I realised. Betrayal. Hurt. Anger. And something that was akin to fear that I didn’t like. Either way, it gave me enough strength to straighten my shoulders and turn to leave.

Halfway turned, I glanced back and smiled smugly. “You started this Elliot, remember that,” I said. “I got tired of a game I didn’t want to play all because you were board. It had been a man’s world for ages, a woman must do what she must to survive, and my survival depends on every score I can get. See you around, Dupree.”

I turned and walked off, astounded school mates watching me. Even Elaine was wide eyed, nearly worshiping really. I wasn't happy, what-so-ever.

That same day, I learned Elliot was not to be messed with either. When I said I’d go downright dirty, he went dirtier, to a point I didn’t feel so safe with him, but at the same time, I felt so good.