:Part One: Chapter Eight

~Chapter Eight~

He sighed, glanced up at Chris before walking over to me, shoulders slouched, that pout nearing a peak. “Don't even think about it, Jonny,” I said. He sighed, head dropped. That was the indication he knew he wouldn’t get what he wanted. “As much as I’m grateful you guys weren’t the beating up ‘type’, as I’m led to believe, I’m more pissed off you went for my brother.”

“We weren’t the ones to stoop low enough to involve him, in the first place,” Elliot retorted, finally showing his anger.

I scoffed. “No, you were the one to stoop lower,” I snapped back.

“Guys, let’s not forget there’s a kid here,” Chris reminded us.

I glanced down at Jonny, hugging him to my side. “I’m fine, I promise,” he said.

A smile tilted the corner of my lips. “Yeah, he’s tougher than he looks,” I said, remembering the very reason why Jonny was the bravest kid in the world. He’d been there as someone had blatantly shot and murdered our mother, right before his eyes. He’d seen a lot as a child, and yet his smile was the brightest I’d ever seen.

He sighed. “You’re thinking again,” he grumbled, rolling his eyes.

I smiled, “Leave the eye rolls to the pros, mister,” I laughed, to which he smiled. “Here you go,” I handed him the phone, “Do your thing and delete everything.”

Jonny, surprised, glanced up at me even as he typed in a number. “Everything?” he asked curiously.

I glanced up at the two before us, one of which had eyes that stood out brightly at night. I inhaled slowly, begging my heartbeat to slow down. “Yeah,” licking my lips moist, nodding. “Everything.

Something told me I needed cleverer plans in the future. Jonny sighed, “Alright,” he said, dialling six numbers only I was privy to see. “Here I thought you’d like to watch him naked ag-”

My hand quickly fell over his mouth, and I heard him laugh. My cheeks flamed, as did my body as I glanced up at him through my lashes. Chris surely was a guy who laughed all the time. He was back to laughing all over again.

Blue eyes watched me dangerously, yet, heatedly. I hoped he wouldn’t say anything, but the jerk didn’t know the meaning of silence. “Again?”

Out of all those words, that was what stood out more? Then again, it is an indicative word, so it was obvious.

I rolled my eyes, standing straighter. “I had to sample the merchandise,” I said sternly. When Chris was practically dying on the ground, with Jonny unable to contain himself, I couldn’t believe what I had just admitted. I met Elliot’s stare either way, making a once over. I knew exactly what could stop this. “Fortunately, the recording was precise,” I said. “However, the other… merchandise? I’m afraid it needed more work.”

Christopher fell back, while Jonny finally got through. “Yeah: six, three, five, eight, seven, four, nine, five, two and six.” He whispered the numbers silently. “My sister is great and I love my family.”

At the confused look a panting Chris gave me, I shrugged. “Voice confirmation,” I mouthed. I’d learned the hard way that even a whisper could ruin everything.

Finally, after a couple more voice initiation processes, he put the phone on speaker. “This is the Demos Vault confirming that the contents of slot number twenty two in vault number eighty three have been permanently deleted, as per the request of owner of vault number eighty three, Jonathan Jenkins. Please insert confirmer to support this transaction.”