: Part One: Chapter Nine

~Chapter Nine~

He noticed, and the smile turned into a smirk. "You're Elliot's girl, aren't cha?" he asked.

I pulled Jonny behind me. Panic seized me at that moment, with fear and determination battling for the upper hand. Alright, I admit it, Elliot was right.

"You have what you wanted, now leave me alone," I said sternly, chin tilted upward in defiance. He tried to peer at my brother, but thankfully, Jonny was a smart child. He hid behind me, keeping his face hidden.

Mongo smiled again. I was surprised he had straight, white teeth. It surely did make him look younger. He shook his head as he said. "I just wanted to meet you," he put his hands up in surrender, and took a step back. "I promise I'm not going to hurt you."

I snorted, "Yeah, right," I said. "If Elliot had the audacity to use my brother, you think I'd trust you?"

He sighed, but the cocky, surprisingly amused smile stuck. He must be high, I thought. "Okay, fine, that wasn't the best idea," he said. "But maybe we could finally meet, hm? I heard you were pretty smart."

"I heard you were an idiot," I said. "I didn't realise how much. Leave us alone."

His boys laughed with 'oohs' and 'ahs'. He shook his head but he remained firmly amused by it all. Thankfully, our dad pulled up before he could say anything more. I didn't sigh until Jonny was securely in the car.

"You still protect him, I see," Mongo shouted behind us. I glanced back and scowled. What did he mean by that?

I firmly closed the door and then entered the front seat, all the while Mongo watched me with a sly smirk and murky green eyes that were still oddly familiar. Dad did something bizarre. He waved at Mongo, who waved back cheerfully.

"Dad, those weren't our friends," I thought it wise to amend the wrongful impression as we drove down the street. He spared me a glance, before returning to the road. He was silent for a few moments, but I guessed he was mauling over his own thoughts. I reached for the radio dial then.

"Mend the Veil!" Jonny beat me to the say, and I groaned.

"Brother mine, unless you suddenly grew long arms, I'm afraid this is me going for some Good Charlotte," I grinned.

Jonny pouted. "You always do that," he complained while I grinned cheekily. "The treaty means first shout gets all."

I rolled my eyes. That was a treaty for when he was still a child. "You're eleven years old, Jonny," I said. "Remember the terms of termination?"

Dad was watching me curiously, almost like he couldn't believe something. I quirked a brow as I scrolled to my favourite number on the playlist. "What is it?" I asked, suddenly intrigued to know what he was thinking.

He shook his head, "Nothing," he said, and I thought that was the end of that. I shrugged it off, and in came Girls and Boys by Good Charlotte. And I was shaking my head to the words.

"Definitely true," I said at the 'boys will laugh at girls when they're not funny'. I'd learned that recently.

Jonny shook his head behind us. "Dad, can't you change the dial?" he begged. Dad glanced back through the rear view mirror and found Jonny pouting with pleading eyes.

He laughed. "I swear you two are like minions when it comes to upsetting your stepmother," he said, "but when it comes to agreeing to something different, nothing seems to fit."

I shook my head proudly, sticking out my tongue to Jonny. He rolled his eyes. "Really, Chrys, really?" I shrugged indifferently.

Next blasted in I Don't Wanna Be in Love, and I couldn't believe it when a spark of mischief lit up Jonny's eyes.