:Part One: Chapter Ten

~Chapter Ten~

We decided to order five different boxes of pizza, to go, with a whole pack of sodas. Dad got a call in the middle of ordering. Ella, our step mother, informed him that Duke, her oldest son, was coming home tonight. In fact, he was home and was wondering where we were.

"He says he came home and found you two weren't there, and got worried," dad said. When he saw the eye roll I couldn't hold back, he sighed. "He just wants to be a big brother, you know. The both of you love your siblings to bits. Can't you use that as common grounds?"

Duke and I were the same age; only he was months older, like eight months older. I didn't like him mostly because he tried to take over everything I do.

Okay, I admit it, I didn't like having an older brother, ergo step brother. It bothered me to know he was constantly a shadow over me.It didn't help that he was constantly getting into trouble.

This time, he'd been caught fighting at school, and with that he got expelled. Yes, fighting wasn't enough to get someone expelled, but when that person was caught breaking school property, drinking and smoking, constantly leaving campus grounds, and the most recent, an affair with a teacher, though they didn't say which, he definitely needed a kick in the bottom.

Dad's frame was still as I remained silent. When I tilted my chin up, he sighed. "He stays out of my room," I said simply. There was slight disappointment there, something I tried to ignore, but he understood. He smiled though. "Oh, I forgot, there's a gift coming for you soon."

I laughed, knowing exactly what it was. I pulled back my sleeve to find twelve charms dangling on a silver interlocking bracelet. "Let's see: eagles, glasses, purse, torch, wolf, owl... which one's missing?"

Jonny snickered, while dad blushed. "Ha, very funny," he said. "And no, it's not a charm. It's something more breathing, with a whole new set of responsibility for the two of you. Think you can handle that?"

Brows furrowed, I tilted my head speculatively. Jonny and I shared a glance, and I realised neither of us knew what it was. "More alive, you said," I said speculatively. That could be anything, really.

Still, dad grinned knowingly, and then suddenly the buzzer was groaning on the table, making a loud noise. But people at the pizzeria didn't mind as they were used to it. Back in England, we wouldn't be doing something this huge.

Yes, to me eating pizza on a school night, or any time, was a huge thing. Jonny and I were so lavished back home, we were brought up with propriety digging at us. I'd not once gone on a date, as imagined, as my first kiss now belonged to a jerk. Our lifetime had been strict, but with mother around, we could at least sneak in a few things.

We all jumped at the sudden buzz, and then laughed at the other's astounded faces. We were out of the pizzeria soon enough.

"It took you guys long enough," Duke was the one to open the door, still dressed in his former school's attire. Black slacks with a white shirt underneath a navy pull over. From the not tucked in shirt, I definitely realised he was also sloppy.

Dad grinned, trying not to throw down the pizza boxes while hugging Duke. "Welcome home," he said. "We will be talking about your behaviour, though."

Duke mock sighed, but then smirked. "Yeah, guessed I won't get off that easily," he said. He glanced to Jonny, and then patted his head, disarraying the hair. "Hey there, Shortie."

I immediately remembered Elliot. And suddenly I blushed. And with that came a scowl. "What's up with jerks and that term?" I grumbled.

Dad shot me a look, and Duke finally noticed me. He did a once over that was oddly weird. He grinned cheekily, opening his arms wide. "Well, if it isn't my baby sister?" he said. "I missed you."