:Part Three: Chapter Twenty-Three

~Chapter Twenty-Three~

I walked out of the cafe, glad to be out of it. The whisper had already spread. Everywhere I went brought about one correctly interpreted whisper: there walks the next countess. It brought a shiver of alarm down my spine, but I'd learned to push it away as with all other uncertainties I might have been feeling.

Chilly air was already nipping at my cheeks, turning them a tomato red that went against the tone of my skin. Snow sheets danced lightly everywhere I turned, already an indication of the changing seasons. Winter was whispering around the corner and soon she'd be dancing about us; whether in a beautiful waltz or a complicated tango.

It was the time of day that the streets held but dots of people, some with companions and others washing out into the receding traffic. The sun was setting, splashing an array of tones over the town. It was a magical view.

Alley ways were a shuddering thought as people made quick to be past them. Memories assaulted my mind from the thought of alley ways, particularly that one. Hadn't I made the choice to stay away from Elliot? So, why now, was I wallowing in self pity and farcing a face for all?

A whistle pierced the air behind me. Startled, I blinked back into the moment, striving to forget the past and head on, strong and wilful, into the future. I glanced left, attempting to find the cause of the problem but ended up with hands over my eyes.

My heart made a sudden lurch as it increased in beats, and panic began gripping at my chest. Had I an assailant? Should I have started screaming? Of course I should have been fighting. What idiot stood by and let another grab them off the street, even in broad daylight. But I paused as I suddenly realised the person had no chloroform over my mouth and nose and he or she wasn't making to grab me off the street.

Another fact was that Muriel was not making any point of saving me yet I was in open view of him. I wasn't in danger.

"Guess who?" said a whisper behind me. Unfortunately for him, I already guessed his voice. Hope I hadn't realised still lingered dwindled, plunging disappointment to weigh my heart. I sighed.

"Morgan Toad," I smirked as he groaned. His hand slid from my face as I turned to face him, unable to stop the amusement from showing.

"Snoad," he said, but a cheeky grin greeted me. It was a relief to see one familiar face, and one who had always been part of it. "How's m'lady doing today?"

I fought the urge to roll my eyes, striving to keep my personal disputes sacred to me. I didn't want to burden someone who probably had his own problems. "It's a lovely day, isn't it?" I asked.

Morgan's grin was there in reply, and it eased my mind. "It is," he said, glancing about as well. "Though I've seen better."

My eyes widened. "Morgan Toad, are you aware of how picky you sound?"

Morgan shrugged. "Better to be myself than a lie," he sung. Something about it made me pause and, rats, Morgan noticed. He paused, staring curiously at me. "Call me a nosy-ass, but are you alright Chrys?"

Something gripped my heart; I wasn't aware if it was surprise of the sudden opening of previously been closed emotion, but it made my spine straighten and my chin lift higher.

Someone scoffed. We both turned to find Morgan's friends just a few feet away. One of them, a boy with brown hair and darker eyes, was staring straight at me. He looked to be a menacing sort with the way he smiled but a feeling of a glare slithered up my spine. I didn't like him.