:Part Three: Chapter Twenty-Six

~Chapter Twenty-Six~

Sunshine had never felt better. After so many days in a distressing basement with no movement and little connection to the outside world, everything all around me suddenly had more meaning. The headlines on the newspapers had been a sight: 'Countess kidnapped', 'Countess found in pool of blood', and my most favourite, 'Countess deems Canada unsafe'. They all caught the viewer's attention, and their articles held more details to elaborate, thankfully.

As for deeming Canada unsafe, that had been my grandmother's moment of panic, claiming I'd be returning to England to complete my studies. It made sense. News had already spread about a rookie kidnapping going perfectly, and if it were not for a little girl, three million pounds would have been taken. Imagine what an expert would get away with?

A tree came alive as birds flew into it. Its music became loud and merry, and I enjoyed every second of it. A wind bristled by, lifting tendrils of my hair. I gently swayed on the swing with it. The park was empty for a Thursday. Then again it was heading towards nine in the morning and the park was a walking pack. Sleep wasn't so common as every time I closed my eyes images flooded in that kept me awake.

The swing made a soft sound under my swaying weight and images blurred as memories flooded. Suddenly, a shadow fell over me

"Need some company?" I glanced up to Morgan's voice. He smiled gently, head tilted in a way that made him look more innocent than I knew he was.

I nodded slowly, glancing down at my feet. A silence followed, only disturbed by the tweeting birds and sway of his swing. I remembered the kiss; it hadn't been bad, rather good and expert, but the dooming afterward made things different. My father was worried about me, and Jonny was trying his best to get me out with invites and talks about everything and nothing, but they didn't understand.

They didn't understand that there was no longer going back. They didn't understand that I just needed time to think, to coral what is reality and what isn't. I just needed to think for myself for one moment before someone took over. I needed control. Or did I?

I sighed. It wasn't like Morgan to stay quiet. "I'm guessing my father called you?" I asked. A quick glance found him staring at me. He shrugged.

One side of my lips tilted upward. "Are you going to say something?" Again, Morgan shrugged, still staring at me. But now a slow smile started to creep up his lips, and a cheeky twinkle lit up his eyes.

I shook my head, but I couldn't help the feeling slowly creeping up on me. Morgan had actually come, this early, to see if I was alright. It made me feel slightly better of myself. I only wish, well, his friend hadn't died. And suddenly the truth of it came pouring out. I'd killed Morgan's friend. Sure, he'd died on the way to the hospital but... a hand suddenly covered mine. I glanced up sharply and found Morgan had gotten onto his knees before me and was staring worriedly up at me.

"Don't do that," he said sharply.

Curious, I remained silent. It was as he reached up and swiped something wet from my cheek that I realised I was crying. I laughed, feeling ashamed at the show. "Sorry," I said. It was meant as an apology for the moment but instead, something else poured out of me. Morgan started shaking his head, his hands squeezing mine reassuringly. "I'm sorry for Liam, for Silvia and..."

"Don't do that, Chrystal," he said. Morgan's voice was fierce and strong and made me wonder just how this boy managed to fool everyone with that cheeky grin. "It wasn't your fault. None of this is your fault. You did what any sane person would do and you tried to escape. It wasn't you who shot the gun. You weren't anywhere near it–"