:Part One: Chapter Thirteen

~Chapter Thirteen~

I refused to speak about it.

The weekend had followed with a fair amount of disappointments, most having been beyond aggravating. I run my hand through some rays of light streaming through the near closed window. It made my hands seem lighter, milkier.

For one thing, I was still fuming over my father's fail of appearance at Jonny's show. It had been a brilliant spectacle but because of one disappointment, one part of his project had failed to fly and he'd lost a mark. No matter, he'd beaten his opponent with a few decimals.

But what had me brusquely sitting in my family's car, waiting patiently to arrive at the designated location, was the image that kept on playing in my mind.

I won't lie to myself: Elliot didn't ask for friendship. He didn't offer a truce based on civilisation's only form of companionship. No, he'd asked me to become an escort.

I wasn't here to accept.

Liar...

I sighed, checking my bag once again. It was now five days since the assignment had been given out and I'd ran out of ammunition against this war I'd pulled myself into. True to his word, Elliot didn't badge anytime I brought up the assignment. Instead, he'd skilfully redirect us and get me to talk about my life.

I felt myself blushing as I thought of the time's we'd nearly completed the assignment. One time this past week I'd found him at the furthest corner of a near empty library. Unconsciously, my finger rose to my lips in a remembrance but I suddenly felt silly.

It had just been a kiss. He'd just neatly and deviously managed to get us in a make out session that had left me breathless and, God in heaven forgive me, wanton. I'd been in the throngs of passion, with my feet parted on the upholstered seat we'd shared.

Oh, how I hope the management will forgive me. Thank God for Duke calling me.

This trip was stemmed from overly tight situations at home. Facing Ella wasn't an easy thing anymore. I'd stumbled upon a fact: Ella had known about Jonny's performance, in fact she'd had the invitation in her bag. She'd been checking for something in her overly large bag, and down things had fallen. And there, sliding to my feet had been the invitation card Jonny had left on dad's desk long before he'd asked our father. Of course, her being Ella, had brushed the whole occurrence with a laugh and witty comeback.

Facing Ella, I feared, would lead to a sudden and violent situation that would cause my father to suddenly become very disappointed. I was trying to be a good daughter, but a nagging suspicion had me starting to realise someone didn't want me to be.

"Chrystal Jenkins is here to see Elliot Dupree," I came too at the sound of my driver's voice. Elliot's house was a grand mansion, but how couldn't it be with an engineer for a father. The front garden was in the process of being taken care of and someone pushed open the front door as I stared up the long driveway.

"No, wait," I said. "I'll just walk up to the door. It's fine."

Muriel turned back to stare at me. "Are you sure, Chrys?" he asked.

I nodded, grabbing my bag. "I'm sure. I'll call you when I'm done, good?" Although hesitant, he nodded, glancing around him.

"Hey, don't worry," a man said from the guard station. "She'll be fine here. Only thing that can hurt her is heartbreak."

I rolled my eyes, opening the door and stepping out. The trip up was daunting as the house was more beautiful than I remember calling a house. Our house had been picked by Ella, and one of the reasons I needed a reason to leave today was the reminders of her, of how things had suddenly turned out for Jonny and I.