:Part Three: Chapter Twenty-Five

~Chapter Twenty-Five~

"Elliot Dupree!" the name was called out in a bored loud voice. I glanced towards the approaching officer and cringed as I found my father walking behind him. I didn't need this right now.

I was sure with the swift punch Mongo had gotten in that I was going to have a purple eye, and a sore body from the work out we'd had on his lawn. Thankfully for the mother a patrol had been passing by.

I glanced back to Mongo whose bruises were already starting to show. Anger unlike any other rose within me. The asshole glared right back at me, shaking his head in annoyance.

"You're a pig," he spat.

I scoffed, a smirk pulling at me. "At least I'm not a sleazy racoon,"

"Both of you, shut it," the officer said, both our parents before us now. Morgan wasn't laughing this time, and it made me weary. I'd always been watchful of the scoundrel since the first time we'd switched. A laughing kid had more under his sleeve than he gave. I should have known his sudden interest to return to the school had been for her.

Asshole had kissed her. Asshole had kissed her but on her request. That's what made it so much worse. Pain racked through me again; it was a familiar feeling. I hadn't prepared for anything that had happened over the past days. I'd guessed her too sound of mind to even think of falling in love.

But she'd fallen in love. That had been the worst thing. I should have stopped the moment she'd started giggling and diverting secrets. I should have kept her away, and stayed very far away from the ranch. That night had ruined everything.

I knew from all the time I'd known her that she was not confused about her feelings. The desperation she'd shown and the suddenness of her proclamation could have questioned the words but those were thoughts that had been toppling in her mind for some time. What I couldn't understand was why she'd asked Morgan to kiss her.

Anger pulled out once again. It was an emotion that always happened, always kept me walking and moving and breathing. It kept me awake in the middle of the night when all I thought of was...

My father's glare was downright cold. I'd been on the other side of it so many times now I didn't bother shrinking as I glared back. "He started it," I growled as the woman's complaints started getting on my nerves. "With your explanation please add how your son's the one who shoved me first."

Morgan laughed mockingly; but it was the muscle popping along his neck that let known he was holding himself back, just as I was. "She said she fucking loved you and you threw it back in her face," he said. "I'd gladly do it again you sour puss."

The insult didn't go unnoticed. I stood up, as did Morgan. "Say that again," I demanded. The officer got in between us but between the two of us throwing insults and getting riled up for another fight, more officers had to intervene. But it was my father who pulled me away.

"Enough with you two," his glare flicked between me and Morgan, but it stayed on me. "I've had enough of shit with that girl. This should be the last time I have to pull your ass out of this pile, am I correct?"

And images blared at me. Instinct reared its head and I had the sudden urge to stand at ease, arms behind my back, attempting to keep my aching, near sore body up as sweltering heat strove to drive me back down, all the while keeping every flinch and disgusting thought at bay as my commander spoke and spat at me just to get a rise from me.

It made me shake and swelter and reminded me of everything I'd missed by going to the military base, of the years she'd been taken back and forth from the hospital, every pain and anguish she'd had to endure, all the while her sons were kept in the dark.