:Part Three: Chapter Twenty-Four

~Chapter Twenty-Four~

It was a plaguing thought, and as I stepped out of the car I wondered if there was a possibility to the theory grappling my mind. Could Morgan really care more for me?

Morgan's grin was ever cheeky as he greeted me. The door was opened long before I got to it, and it let out a silence that was odd for a gathering. When I'd called to accept, the joy he'd expressed about my coming had nearly stemmed a decision on my doubts, but I chose to inspect for myself: what if I was wrong?

"The party's out back," he said, grabbing my hand and making to pull me in with a rush. It was really to get me inside quickly, I quickly realised this as he pulled me passed his kitchen in that I couldn't inspect the beauty of a simple house. It was simple. A starter bungalow that was capable of holding a family of five with enough room to make it seem spacious and still warm. The inside was decorated just as such.

It was his determination to avoid someone. But as my gaze flickered over a form inside the kitchen I was the one to halt what could have been.

"Don't," Morgan warned, but I was already walking into the kitchen.

"Mrs. Snoad?" I called. The woman glanced up from her cooking. She'd aged, I realised, but my mother's friend had grown with just enough grace to show for a life well lived.

Her eyes widened as she stared at my approach. Suddenly she squealed in delight and I found myself engulfed in a hug. I laughed. This was more enthusiasm than I'd thought to expect.

"Look at you," she said, holding me at arm's length to inspect my form. "Aren't you a beautiful girl? Oh, but you've really grown."

I laughed even as a blush surfaced on my cheeks. "You look beautiful, Mrs. Snoad," I said, unable to come up with something else. It had been one of those moments where excitement and surprise whirled within one's mind and one couldn't come up with a single sentence, unlike one's counterpart.

Mrs. Snaod blushed and then laughed as she swapped at the air. "This old thing?" she said. "Don't be too generous, darling; a certain someone might take advantage of it."

I giggled along with her. She'd always been outrageous and her smile was the only one to rival her sons. Morgan suddenly coughed behind us. We turned to find him staring pointedly at his mother.

Mrs. Snoad laughed and I stared at both of them, wondering what was amiss in the situation. "Morgan insists I stop interfering in his gatherings," she said. "This means we must reschedule. You and I should have a spa day. Felicity was just complaining her complexion's gone hard."

I nodded with no restraint against the honest proposal. "Morgan has my number: you just call me anytime and I'll be there."

"Splendid," this was Morgan, who stepped forward and grabbed my shoulders, pulling me back. "Now that both of you have made the acquaintance I didn't wish for," we both gasped, but laughed at his pink cheeks. "Good night, mother, and do keep your promise this time."

Mrs. Snoad's wink promised the complete opposite, and Morgan groaned from it. I laughed, gladly walking away with him. His arm was an unsure weight on my shoulders.

"I missed her," I suddenly said, startling us both. My brows shot up in surprise but Morgan laughed.

"I guessed from the moment back there," he said, glancing down at me. We reached the door and he stopped. I glanced up at him curious at the sudden situation. Morgan seemed uncertain as he struggled to say something. "Before you get in there, I just wanted to ask a question."