013

013
_____________________

The awkward air passed as you were able to enjoy your breakfast next to Satoru. His muscular roommate had left the two detectives alone to get some shut-eye, which saved you from dealing with any other tense situations. As for the breakfast itself, it was... pretty good. Though above average, it was only moments away from being just right to your taste. If Sukuna had held back just a moments longer, Satoru could have cooked the bacon to perfection. But still, you didn't mind the below perfection display in front of you. It actually added a bit more character to the meal. If you always had perfection, you'd just be desensitized by it.

Satoru on the other hand seemed to mind. He was poking at his food a bit more, a noticeable twitch to his eye. Speaking of being desensitized by perfection...

"Satoru...?" you hummed, a little bit of bacon trailing out of the corner of your lips. The white haired male turned his gaze to you... but not attentively. He was staring at you as if he was lost in thought. "Satoru?"

The lost detective jolted back up, snapping out of whatever thoughts were lurking in the depths of his mind. After the momentary startle, he hung his head over his hand as his elbow rested comfortably on the counter. "What is it, Y/n?"

You stare into his eyes momentarily, before turning your gaze back to the plate of food before you. Gently poking at the scrambled eggs, you finally ask him, "About the cargo ship fire. How do you know they saw us? Why are you assuming they're even after us in the first place? I know you're too good of a detective to believe unjustified assumptions... please, tell me what you're hiding from me."

Satoru knew he couldn't wriggle his way out of this one. The question was direct, and no one else was here to interrupt. Nonetheless, he knew if he wasn't the one to tell you, you may go searching for the answers on your own, which would be even more dangerous for you. Satoru Gojo was a selfish man... he liked being in control of the pieces he held. He wanted to control what you knew for his own selfish desire - keeping you you safe and close. He let off a reluctant sigh, as he crossed his hands together on the countertop.

"Y/n... do you trust me?"

You cocked your brow at his question as you analyzed his features. His expression was unreadable. Was he going to explain it or avoid it entirely? You weren't sure... but for some reason you felt the detective wasn't sure either. "Yes, of course I trust you Satoru."

"Then..." the male paused, closing his eyes as he came to his own conclusion. "Trust there are some things I can't tell you. It's not that I don't want to, but I-"

That wasn't what you wanted to hear.

"What's the point of my apprenticeship if I'm left in the dark for important details to the case, Satoru?" You interrupted the male rather forcefully, "Why have me analyze cases where you already have the answers? Am I just your lap dog?"

Your cutlery dropped to your plate, leaving the vibrations of the cold metal to echo in the kitchen.

"Y/n-"

"Why can't you tell me, can I at least know that much?"

Satoru hesitated in his response, letting the air ring stale between the two heated detectives. You were incredibly tense, a pressure that didn't seem it would go away any time soon with your last question for the male. You looked back towards your plate, the half eaten bacon and eggs you had lost your appetite for still lurking about.