021

021
_____________________

After your heart to heart with the detective, he ended up driving you to the hospital. Luckily they were able to provide another USB with the necessary footage, but that didn't stop you from taking a look around the area anyways. Nothing was out of the ordinary as you'd expect, but it was a worthwhile observation to make just in case. When you got back to the firm, Satoru went to his office to finish up some more paperwork... paperwork he had confirmed to be preparations for Saturday's party. Since it was time sensitive, you didn't press for any other details, letting him go as you made your way to the administrative computer once more.

Your desktop background almost caught you by surprise... the picture of you and Satoru. You had forgotten Satoru snuck into your account to leave you this particular easter egg which did help to leave a small smile on  your face. There was nothing in the world that could replace the little joys Satoru would spread across your workday.

Though you didn't look too much into the photo the first time, you looked at it a little more. Was this...? Yes, this was the night you and Satoru were heading to the Ryo before you got sick. This was also the day your feelings for the male had developed into what they are today. Before then, you found the male attractive but you'd have never allowed yourself to date him. Now... things were different. Now, you couldn't picture your life without him.

With the smile still on your face, you plugged in the new USB drive to access the security footage. Unlike earlier, this USB seemed to work normally. Within the contents, everything seemed to be as it was described in the case report, the male leaving the front doors and...

Huh?

That was odd. The footage seemed to be tampered with. He was the only one on the screen, but it seemed there was a shadow of a male coming from the west side. The male was edited out, but a bit of his shadow still remained in frame. First a corrupted file, and now an edited one. This couldn't be a coincidence, right? You kept watching the video for any more clues. Around the 37 second mark... that's not Noritoshi Kamo. Instead, someone edited Noritoshi to complete his walk to the car, but the original Noritoshi never made it. This discrepancy seemed to be covered from the naked eye with a subtle resolution drop.

This wasn't a missing persons case anymore. This was a kidnapping. Whoever went in to edit the footage was either the kidnapper or someone affiliated with them. If the hospital gave you the edited footage, chances are they didn't pick up on it. Could they have worked with the kidnapper? That was preposterous granted the discrepancy wasn't picked up in the case report either. They wouldn't of known the footage was tampered with, but luckily you had a good eye.

By the time you deduced your theory, it was the end of the work day. Though Satoru was never on time in the morning, he was always punctual when it came to ending his day. Of course. The male would step out of his office, adjusting the collar of his trench coat to better rest on his figure. Turning his head to you, he tilted his glasses down to reveal his icy blue gaze. "Are you ready to go, Red?"

You couldn't help but let a sigh escape your lips. You muttered a quick "I guess," rather disheartedly, unplugging the USB from the tower. He noticed your gloomy mood instantly. Without another word, the detective pulled up a seat besides you, sitting down on it backwards as he rested his arms on the back panel of the chair.

"Let me see it."

Pressing your lips into a firm line, you plugged the USB back into the tower. It took a moment to load before you were able to play the footage for the observant detective. Oddly enough, the moment almost felt like he was a dad or teacher helping you with your homework. Satoru would make a terrible teacher... but maybe not a bad dad.