Chapter 26, A Mother's Love

November 25th, 2008

Cassidy's POV

It's been a busy day for me in the Dylan/Hotchner house. I cleaned the whole house, did the dishes, washed laundry, and now I'm prepping dinner. I like being active, and the house felt like a mess. Aaron doesn't expect me to do all the housework, he has forced me to sit and do nothing while he did it. He doesn't want me to think that I'm only here to be a Nanny/housekeeper.

I shake my head to make myself focus, and start lining the pan with pasta. I grab my tomato sauce and layer it, then ricotta, pasta, shredded cheese, and repeat. The top layer gets shredded cheese and I pop it into the oven. It has to cook for about forty-five minutes.

Just as I shut the oven door, I hear the front door open. "Cassie, we're home!" I hear Aaron yell. I smile, and walk out of the kitchen area toward the front door.

"Mom!" Jack yells, running toward me. I pause, and stand there shocked. I look at Aaron, and he clearly doesn't know why Jack said that either.

"Hunny, your Mom isn't here anymore." I say, holding onto Jack's arms. He shakes his head, and I can tell he's about to cry.

"No, you're my Mom. You love me don't you?" He asks, and I nod.

"Well yes of course I love you Jack. That doesn't make me your Mom. Your Mom loved you with everything she had, fed you, took care of you, bathed you, she helped you in times of need. She was a wonderful woman, Jack." I say, and Jack stands there for a moment.

"You do all those things too! You love me with your whole heart, you take me to school, you cook and feed me, you help me when I need it. You're my Mom too, since my real Mom isn't here anymore." He says, and I start tearing up. I love Jack like he's my own, but Aaron and I don't even have a relationship.

"Jack, why don't you go play? We will talk about this in a few?" Aaron chimes in, but Jack is persistent.

"No. Daddy, you love her right?" Jack asks, facing Aaron.

"Yes, I love Cassie very much." He says, and I feel my heart skip a beat. He's the man I want, only him.

Jack faces me and says, "Do you love Daddy?"

I nod and say, "Very much, Jack. I love him very much. Why?"

"So, you're my Dad and you're my Mom. We're a family." He says, and I let out a small laugh.

"It doesn't work like that Jack. I'd have to marry Cassie for us to be a real family." Aaron says, and I nod.

"So marry her. You both love each other, and you both love me. We have a house. Then she can be my Mom?" He asks, and I stand there in shock.