Chapter 17, More Than This

September 22nd, 2008

Cassidy's POV

    "Spence, hey! I didn't know you were coming back so soon!" I say, seeing that Spencer was at my door.

    He smiles, and I let him in. Over the last week we've gotten pretty close, and it's been nice. I know we have a mutual friend, but we don't talk about him. Spencer sits down on the couch, and I join him.

    "Cassie, we're friends right?" Spencer asks, after a moment. I give him a weird look, and I can see he's fidgeting.

    "Yeah, or least I thought we were. Why?" I ask. We spent the whole time texting and calling when he was away at work.

    "Well a coworker of mine said that I was smiling at my phone a lot, and teased me about talking to a girl. He's a little bit of a player." He starts, and I'm intrigued. He smiled at our texts that much that his profiling team noticed?

    "What would this player of a coworker's name be?" I ask, turning toward him. I rest my arm on the back of the couch, my legs underneath me facing Spencer. I put my head on my hand, and ruffle his hair in the other.

    "Derek Morgan. I call him Morgan most of the time. Can you stop ruffling my hair?" He asks, and I stop.

    "Hmm. Sorry, your hair is so soft. I couldn't help it. So, tell me more about this team of yours?" I ask, and he starts going into detail about all of them.

    By the end of his speal, I figured out there's seven of them on the team. There's David Rossi, who I only know from reading his books, he's referred to as Rossi. You have JJ, who's a communications something. She talks to the media. There's Emily Prentiss, and then Penelope Garcia. Penelope is their technical analyst, meaning she's the tech genius. Leaving out Spencer and Hotch, knowing I already know them all.

    "Wow. So do you crime fighters have families of your own?" I ask, wondering how they balance life and work.

    "Well JJ has a son named Henry. Penelope is seeing a guy from a different department, his name is Kevin. Other than that, and Hotch, we're single. Derek is the player, and I get the same feeling from Emily." He says, laughing slightly.

    "So, what I hear is that you're the genius." I say, leaning into him.

    "Yeah, I guess. Morgan makes fun of me for not being around women. Says 'I need to date.'" He explains, giving me the perfect idea.

    "Well, if we want to outplay the player, we need to outsmart his game. What if we pretend we're dating, just until he gets off your back?" I say, and I notice Spencer tense up really hard.

    "N-no I don't think that's a good idea." He explains.

    "Why? It's not like it's a real date. No one has to know, except Morgan." I say.

    Spencer ponders it for a moment, and says, "No it wouldn't work. Morgan and Garcia have the loudest mouths, it'll never work."
    "Yes it would. When you two are alone, confide in him. Tell him you're seeing me, but you can't let Aaron find out because of my history with him. Tell him that I don't want Aaron to find out about it, until I can tell him myself." I say, coming up with a brilliant plan.

I can see Spencer's hesitant about this, and I don't know why. I know deep down, this is wrong. If Aaron did find out, who knows what he'd say to Spence or if he'd ever talk to me again. Even though Aaron and I just reconnected, and he wrote me that letter I haven't been able to talk to him.

"I-I don't know Cassidy." He says.

"You have Aaron's cell number right?" I ask, and Spencer nods his head. "Give me your phone. I'll call him, and he can be in on this. I'll tell him it's my plan and that I'm doing this to get this Derek douche off your back."

Spencer pulls out his phone, not wanting to argue with me. He pulls up Aaron's contact information, and hands me the phone. I put in his contact information and saved it into my phone. I call his number right away, so Spencer can stop being so hesitant.

"What are you doing?" Spencer asked.

I whisper, "Calling Hotch." The phone rings, and on the second ring he answers.

"Hotchner." He calls out, and I smile. It was nice to hear his voice.

"Aaron, it's me Cassie. I got your number from Spencer." I say, and I hear a small sigh of relief on the other side of the phone.

"Why are you calling me?" He asks. I don't think he meant for it to sound rude, but it definitely came across that way.

I quickly put the phone on speaker so Spencer can hear too. "Well, so I hear that this Derek guy keeps picking on my new friend Spencer here. I want you in on this to pull a prank on him." I say, hearing a stifled laugh.

"What kind of prank are you pulling?" He asks, remembering how good you are at acting.

"Well, he likes to pick on the fact that Spencer doesn't get girls. I'm going to pretend to date him. Now I hear that Derek and uh- Spence what's her name again?" I ask.

"Penelope Garcia." Spencer replies.

"Right, and Garcia are loud mouths. He's going to tell Derek that we went on a date, and we'll be seeing each other again. However, since it's me that he's going on a date with, Spencer wants to keep it a secret from you. To try and keep it hush-hush. When I go to tell you in a few weeks that we're dating, I want you to be mad at me in the office. When we come out though, I'll break up with Spencer there, and then once Derek feels bad tell him the truth." I finish, divulging the entire plan.

    Aaron remains silent for a while, like he has to think about this whole plan. "No. I will not be a pawn in this scheme." He says, authoritative.

    "Please Aaron, for me? C'mon, it's just like when we were nine!" I say, and he starts laughing. When we were nine, I faked my way out of school along with Aaron so we could watch movies and be "sick" together. Unfortunately, we ended up being sick three days later with the flu.

    "Fine, just don't be surprised if Derek figures out that this is fake. He's a profiler Cassie, he'll be able to see right through you if he looks hard enough." He says, and I nod my head. You dumbass, he can't see you.

    "Thank you! You're the best. Bye!" I say, quickly hanging up the phone. I look over at Spencer, and he's smiling. "See it's not that hard when you have Cassidy Dylan pleading." I say laughing, knowing his soft spot for me.

    "I guess so. How long will this go on for?" He asks, and I shrug my shoulders.

    "Probably a month or so. To make it seem real." I say. Spencer nods his head.

    "Okay. What am I supposed to say tomorrow, when I tell him I went on a date with you?" He asks, and I get up.

    "Well, you tell him that we got take-out and sat and watched a movie. Say that it was last minute, and that I was too tired to go anywhere. Which is true. We can order take-out right now, and watch a movie." I say, and he nods.

    We looked for twenty minutes deciding where we were going to order take-out from. We ended up with Chinese food. We got egg rolls, General Tso's chicken, fried rice, and lo mein. I let Spencer pick a movie, which ended up being Star Trek. I don't know why, but I didn't care; it was an alright movie.

    Once the food arrived, I grabbed plates and silverware and we opened the boxes just taking what we wanted and eating it. We watched three movies, laughed, talked about personal things, and I ended up falling asleep.