Chapter 12, Reconcile

September 16th, 2008

Cassidy's POV

    I wake up to the peaceful sound of morning birds. I had the next two days off from work, meaning I can tidy up my apartment and then do nothing. I lay in bed, wide awake thinking about the events of last night. I was too harsh.

    I really did wish I could see Aaron again, no matter the fact that Haley was still in the picture. I'm happy to know he moved on from our little rendezvous. I would love to meet Jack too, he's I think four now.

    Instead of dwelling on the past, I get up and get ready for the day. I didn't have an overload of cleaning to do, as I kept my apartment fairly neat. I decide to take a fast shower, letting my feelings wash down on me like the running water.

    Once I was out, I got myself dressed into casual clothes. I walk out of my apartment, and down the block to the nearby coffee shop. It was a quaint little shop, but it definitely had it's busy days. It has some of the best tasting coffee I've ever had.

    "Hey Cassie, would you like the usual?" I hear Mary, the owner, ask.

    I nod my head, and she starts making my regular sized light roast coffee with cream and two sugars. I pull out my wallet, and give her a ten dollar bill. "Keep the change, Mary." I say, and she smiles.

    "Thank you, Cassie. How've you been?" She asks, and I shrug my shoulders. No one else was in the shop, leaving us time to catch up.

    Mary is an older woman, with white hair, and small wrinkles starting to show on her face. She has become my friend, and like a mother figure to me in the city. We sit down at a little table in the café and I say, "It's been pretty much the same old things, except for what happened last night. Last night I saw my childhood best friend." I say, not even speaking his name. He's not Voldemort, you know.

    Mary's jaw dropped slightly. "You ran into Aaron? How'd that go?" She asks, knowing all about Aaron. Since living here, like I have for the last six years, she's heard a lot.

    "It went awful. I had a horrible day yesterday, and seeing him made me even more angry than I already was. I told him that it's been ten years, and that if he wanted to reconnect that bad that he would've tried to find me long before now." I say, and she just listens.

    "'Atta girl! You tell 'em! I know you'd want to tell him everything, but that anger is what was building deep inside of you." She replies, and I sigh knowing it's the truth.

    "Yeah, you're right. Well I have an apartment to go clean, but it was great talking to you Mary." I say, as I get up from the table.

    "It was lovely Dear. I'll see you tomorrow." Mary says, getting up to return back behind the counter.