Chapter 4: Dinner

I've worked hard to earn my spot in one of the most exclusive cars in the world

I've worked hard to earn my spot in one of the most exclusive cars in the world. I've always followed my goal, and I've never strayed from the path I was taking, from the opportunities laid out to me.

And yet, life continued to challenge me, to throw rocks in my way, to test just how persistent I could be.

"There you are!" Salim's voice echoed through the hotel gym. "You can't hide from me, you know."

Placing the dumbbells back on the ground, I turned around to find the rather pissed-looking Moroccan approaching me, a manila folder in his hands. I appreciated his warm welcome earlier, especially given I knew his opinion on how things transpired the past weeks, and yet I had to suppress a groan at his remark.

"I wasn't hiding," I explained while dabbing a towel over my face, "Not from you, at least."

He raised an eyebrow at me. "Who were you hiding from?"

"Connor," I spat out his name. "Did you know I'd have to share a room with him?"

I was still annoyed at the entire ordeal. Not only did I have to join this program, but then I had to share a room with the one guy I wanted to avoid?

"It's a two-bedroom-suite. You barely have to see each other."

"You know who he is to me, Salim. It would've been nice to get a warning."

"Yeah, well, next time don't punch the team's marketing expert in the face, and I don't have to suspend you from your Formula 2 duties on such short notice."

I scoffed at his words. "We both know Liam Drexler is a fucking idiot."

"You do. I do. Basically everyone does, but that doesn't mean you can go off on him like that. It's time you start acting like a grownup."

A laugh escaped my lips. "That's big coming from someone using the word grownup."

"Shut up." He nudged my shoulder with a chuckle. "But really, I'm glad you got over yourself and got into a room with him to begin with. I expected a whole scene, to be honest."

Thinking back to what happened an hour ago, I tried my best to keep a straight face. "Well, I didn't have much of a choice," I muttered. "Florence Nyx got all up in my business and said she'd share a room with him if I didn't."

"She did?" Salim laughed and looked at me for a long moment, as if he was expecting me to elaborate on the annoying stunt this girl pulled on her first day here, but I had no intention of sharing that encounter with him for the time being. "Damn..." His chuckle made me focus back on him. "I underestimated that girl."

"What?"

"Oh, nothing." He waved me off, but I could tell there was something he wasn't telling me. I've known Salim for a few years now, given he was the one who brought me to the team when I was just sixteen. I trusted him explicitly and knew he did the same, but that didn't mean he wouldn't kick my ass for having to suspend me from my driving position at the Formula 2 team. I wouldn't be here without him, and he had a right to be angry at me. But that didn't change what had happened. "I'm surprised you didn't take her up on that offer," he finally added.