Chapter 20: It IS hot in here

While Monaco gave us rain when we didn't expect it, Silverstone graced us with a hell of a lot of sun, even though we wished for the storm

We saw what the car could do under wet conditions, so of course that's what we're aiming for. But now, with 35 degrees Celsius or 100 degrees Fahrenheit, every single member of the team was running for the shade.

It was Friday, and during the first practice session of this weekend, I ran off to get some much-needed rest from the heat by hiding out in the back offices. Jin said he wouldn't need me for the session itself, only afterward, but didn't specify what I'd have to do. He just said I'd enjoy it, though the grin on his face told me differently.

"So that's where you're hiding, Sunflower!" The familiar voice to my right made me open my eyes, and I pushed myself off the wall as soon as I recognized Dad coming my way.

"Hey, old man." I threw my arms around him, shaking my head as I noticed him in his racing gear. "Two questions: Why aren't you in the car, and why are you wearing this suit if you aren't? In case you haven't noticed, it's fucking hot!"

My dad's eyes widened before he laughed out loud, one hand running through his damp hair. "Wow. What the hell happened to you?"

A blush crept into my cheeks from his insinuation, but I swallowed it quickly, hoping he'd just blame the sun and not the memory of a certain dark-haired driver. "Nothing. I'm just sweating profusely and don't understand how you aren't."

"Guess that's what decades in a racing suit do to you." He shrugged. "But I'm here for a very different reason."

"Oh?" That sparked my interest. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine." He ruffled my hair but scrunched his nose soon after.

"What? I told you I'm sweaty!"

"No, no." He laughed. "That's not it. It's just... It's different seeing you with this haircut. I haven't gotten used to it yet." His eyes skimmed over my head, almost as if he was trying to find the off button for my new hairstyle.

I was pretty sure he was missing my long hair since he was the one who taught me how to braid it at a young age. It was something we bonded over, but please don't judge. Race drivers really came with the weirdest set of skills.

"It'll grow back. This is just more practical."

"And it suits you," he quipped. "It just makes you look more... grown up. I don't know if I like that."

"Aww, Dad." I smiled and pressed a kiss on his cheeks, watching the emotion dance in his eyes. "You know I'll always be your little sunflower by heart."

He kissed the top of my head and squeezed my side before looking down at me, a smile now playing on his lips as well. "I know. That's exactly why I came here."