Chapter 53: Gather the Gang

The scent of coffee and bagels lingered in the air as I leaned back against the kitchen counter, watching Phoenix pour both of us a mug

The scent of coffee and bagels lingered in the air as I leaned back against the kitchen counter, watching Phoenix pour both of us a mug. He skillfully added the right amount of almond milk and cinnamon to mine, and I wanted to melt from the mere thoughtfulness of his actions.

Never in my life had I seen a man so observant, so forthcoming like him. It was a welcoming surprise every damn time he did something like that for me.

"Good?" he asked as I brought the cup to my lips, enjoying the flavor on my tongue. His dark eyes watched me carefully, gauging my reactions.

"It's perfect," I mumbled and took another sip.

He raised his fist in the air, cheerfully celebrating himself on this milestone victory. "I knew I'd get it right this time."

His behavior was so unlike him and yet so much like him that I couldn't help but giggle. "You definitely did."

"Now I just have to remember the..." Phoenix trailed off, staring at the doorway behind me. I didn't have to follow his gaze to know who was there.

The one person I came down here for.

"Flor." The nickname only used by my immediate family made me flinch. "Can we talk?"

Phoenix glanced back at me, his eyes questioning and wary. I nodded in response, shooting him a thin smile to let him know I was fine.

God knew I wasn't fine. Not at all.

Phoenix must've noticed that too, his raised brow telling me he didn't appreciate my untruthfulness. It's okay, I mouthed, hoping he understood that even though I wasn't fine, I needed to do this. And it seemed like that's what he wanted to hear, because he suddenly grabbed the plate from the counter and leaned over to me, his oak scent making me inhale deeply so I could savor it.

"I love you," he whispered before pressing a kiss on my cheek, his next words so quiet that only I could hear him. "Unconditionally. Don't forget that."

He reached for his mug and shot me another smile, one that told me he'd be there if I needed him.

"I love you, too," I said, watching him head for the door. His previously warm gaze turned icy the second it settled on my brother, who, I now noticed, stood right next to the open door.

"I'll be in the living room," he said, more to Rafael than me before he disappeared.

Uncomfortable silence stretched between my brother and I as I took a deep breath, gathering my resolve. I could feel Rafael's wide eyes on me as he glanced into the living room and then back at me, trying to make sense of the situation.

Just a few moments later, he shook his head and sighed deeply, running a hand through his already disheveled hair. "Flor, I'm sorry. Can we please—"

"Don't," I cut him off with a glare. All of yesterday's emotions rose to the surface from just hearing him speak, looking at him. His trusting blue eyes now had less of a brotherly glimmer in them. They looked scared. Haunted, almost.