Chapter 29: Breaking

I already knew it

I already knew it.

I could feel it in my bones.

This was going to be one hell of a day.

Every muscle ached as Jin and I sat down for lunch, both of us gotten as little as 2 hours of sleep after the all-nighter we had to pull on Felipe's car. Who could've known his car would take much longer than Phoenix's, which looked like a bunch of scrap metal by the time it got to the garage?

Luckily, Phoenix's repairs were mostly superficial. The power unit itself still did what it was supposed to, while Felipe's car decided just to crumble beneath our fingers.

"I can't believe we made that happen," Jin groaned as he placed the tray on the table, letting his head rest right next to it.

"Yeah, me neither..." I rotated my neck, letting the sore muscles crack from my uncomfortable night on the bench in the staff room. "Has Felipe gone out yet?"

He shook his head. "Not yet. I'd reckon by the time we're back, he'll have done a few laps and will be able to say how he feels about it."

"I swear to god, if he doesn't feel good about the twelve hours of work we put into it, I'll lose my shit..."

Jin's laughter echoed through the canteen as he squeezed my shoulder, shooting me a sympathetic look. "I'd say you've done enough work as is, Flo. Let us handle the rest, if there is more to come."

I couldn't help but smile at my teacher, my mentor, my friend. It was a privilege to call him any of those things, and I'd be forever grateful for the chances he'd offered during my time here..

"Thanks, but  no thanks. It's my last day, and I'll keep working until that checkered flag relieves me from my duties."

"Of course you will." The grin on his lips was contagious, and he chuckled once more when I nudged his shoulder. "I'll miss working with you, Nyx. You've been the best student I ever had, not gonna lie. You really belong here."

My eyes widened at his remark, and I looked over to the man who'd been by my side through every fraction of this internship, more than anyone else. His face was void of any deception I could've feared; he was simply stating the truth. "Thank you, that means a lot," I whispered, swallowing hard to not let emotions overwhelm me.

The past twenty four hours must've been the most turbulent I'd had since... Well, forever, probably. From the lack of sleep, over to Phoenix and I sharing experiences that have my heart in a puddle, and ending with Jin telling me things like these... It's been a lot to handle, and I was starting to sweep together the last bits and pieces of strength to get this day over with.

I didn't want the internship to end, but I knew I had to move forward. I had other goals: Starting my studies in mechanical engineering, an apprenticeship to become a mechanic, seeing the world and learning as much as I could possibly soak up... It all waited for me, and I knew I wanted every single bit of it.