Chapter 23: Lost and Found

Attention: This is a long one, lol. Enjoy!
P.S.: If you want to know what I imagine Michael to be like, just watch a clip of Guenther Steiner talking. That's exactly who Michael is. Haha

"Sunflower!" Dad wrapped his arm around my shoulders, a bright grin on his lips

"Sunflower!" Dad wrapped his arm around my shoulders, a bright grin on his lips. "How are you feeling today?"

"I'm perfect. What about you?"

"Just brilliant. I love the Germans." He laughed, pointing at Michael who peeked through the fence of the track, facing the crowd that gathered for the Friday Practice session.

The audience cheered upon his presence, and he threw his hands up and down, encouraging them to embrace the wave. Most of them went with it, and soon the cheers erupted around us as Michael threw his hands in the air, applauding the crowd he just animated.

A laugh fled my lips as Dad and I leaned against the wall next to my garage. "He's such a dork."

"I'd say he's just German," he quipped back.

"Jeremiah!" Michael grinned as he turned around, spotting the two of us just a few feet away. "And Miss Nyx. Good to see you! We haven't talked in a while."

It was hard to hear him through the cheers in the background, but his thick accent stood out through it all. He really was a walking, talking stereotype.

"True!" I called out over the noise. Connor and I did our work for that internship summary Salim asked for, and he seemed to have been content enough when we handed it to him yesterday. He said this was not something Michael would look at, but I still feared his judgment more than anything.

He was the boss, after all. No matter how dorky he was... He could make or break my career.

"Actually, do you have a minute?" he asked, and my eyes widened.

"Yes. Of course." I glanced up at Dad, who shot me one of those 'Don't worry because you'll ace it anyway!' glances. "I'll see after the session?"

We needed time to tell Mom about his retirement. Dad even prepared a helmet that said Goodbye on it to wear for his last race, which wasn't for another six weeks. The others would only see it at the end of the season, but Mom would get a glimpse of it today.

Also, I'd have enough time before dinner with Phoenix, which was also something that had me on edge today. I didn't like feeling that way.

Or did I?

No.

"I'll pick you up at four." He nodded and pressed a kiss on my head, then disappeared into his garage.

Michael nodded toward the pit exit and I followed suit, hands in my overall where I scratched off the dirt on my nails. It was time to start wearing black nail polish with the amount of shit I got in them.