Chapter 68: His Time

A/N: I know it's been a while. Explanation for that in the long-ass author's note at the end of the chapter. To anyone who doesn't want to read that: Thanks for your patience.

 To anyone who doesn't want to read that: Thanks for your patience

"And you're sure you're okay? Your head doesn't hurt? Or your—"

"Flo." Phoenix's smirk was infuriatingly heartwarming, especially when he framed my face with his hands and pulled me closer to him. The scent of gasoline and rubber in the pit lane, mixed with the sight of Phoenix in his race suit, calmed me more than I'd liked to admit. He didn't say a word; just looked deep into my eyes, the forest green in them as always soothing my soul.

"I'm just worried," I whispered loud enough to be heard above the chatter of a few dozen employees and whirring wheel guns.

Phoenix responded with a kiss on my nose, the smirk on his lips somehow even cockier than before. "What does this tell you, Lucia?" he circled his hand around his face, making me look at him properly.

His dark hair stuck to his forehead from the Abu Dhabi heat, and I couldn't suppress the urge to brush it back, allowing me a better look at the handsome race driver in front of me. Phoenix looked dangerously handsome — as he always did in a racing suit — and his eyes sparkled with euphoria that told me he knew exactly what he did to me. His thick, dark lashes fluttered when he raised a brow, waiting for me to respond. It was hard to say anything when he looked at me the way he did now; predatory, dangerous, and way too damn confident.

And then it hit me.

"You have no doubts," I concluded, and Phoenix nodded.

"I don't. There's nothing stopping me from being at my best today. You gave me the perfect car to win this damn championship today, and I promise I'll look out for both myself and our baby here." He patted the halo of his car, and I couldn't help but watch the movement, eyeing the machine I helped create. This thing was a beast, ready to maul everyone in its wake.

The power these cars held had always been fascinating to me, but at this moment, it was more terrifying than anything else. I knew I had to get my act together, though. The race was starting in just a few minutes, and Phoenix didn't need me freaking out right in front of him.

Taking a deep breath, I focused back on him, watching how he was already closing up his suit. I reached out and lined up the velcro around his neck, giving it a last pat before looking back up at him. He had that pre-race glimmer all around him, excitement and adrenaline practically bursting through his suit.

"I'm proud of you," I said with a kiss on his lips. "And I trust you'll show all of them how it's done. Get those fuckers."

Phoenix chuckled, his eyes scanning my face just as the sound of the five-minute-warning resounded around us.

"I love you," he said, brushing his lips over my own. I held onto him a little longer, letting the taste of him calm my soul until the clearing of a throat pulled us back apart. Idir stood a few feet behind Phoenix, peeking over his shoulder to show me his watch.