Chapter 38: Control

The Australian weekend had always been special

The Australian weekend had always been special. It was the first session of the season, after all.

Teams and fans had been waiting for months to finally get a glimpse at the new car, the new drivers, and the new possibilities. That's also why this weekend's practice session was one of the most intriguing. It was the first time we could compare ourselves to the other teams.

Considering our testing days hadn't gone as well as I'd liked, the entire team knew it was crucial for us to sort things out in the next two days.

No pressure or anything.

My phone rang, making me glance at the screen on the breakfast table. I read the name and instantly silenced it, ignoring Idir's disapproving stare that bore into my skull.

"How are you feeling today?" His question made me look up. He chewed on a chicken sandwich with a raised brow, waiting for my response.

"Sore," I responded while circling my neck, letting the vertebrae snap back in place. A shudder ran down my spine, and I shook out the sensitive feeling by straightening myself up. "The car's been a bitch to me."

He nodded, letting my change of topic go by unnoticed. "Yeah, I could see that. The practice sessions yesterday didn't seem very promising."

"No, they didn't..."

I hated to even think it, but he was right. The car was a damn nightmare right now, even Felipe agreed to that. With the understeer, you had to put a lot of effort into every movement of the steering wheel, and you felt every damn corner like someone slammed right into you. The G-forces in place in a car like this took a toll on your body, hence why every muscle felt like it was on fire.

"That guy seems familiar," Idir interrupted my thoughts, nodding to the other end of the hotel restaurant.

I followed his gaze, watching how a man with caramel hair and an attitude you could smell from miles away marched into the room. A tall redhead stuck to his side, glancing around like she was actively looking for someone.

He was right; I felt like I'd seen the man before, though I couldn't tell where. All I knew was that he had one of those faces you just wanted to punch into.

"Oh, look!" The redhead shamelessly pointed in our direction, and the man followed her gaze. A grin broke out on his lips when she took his hand and marched over to us, and I instantly turned around, somehow hoping I'd disappear like that.

I hated when fans approached me out in the open.

"That's why I don't go out to eat," I muttered, shaking my head at Idir. It was his idea to come here, after all.

He didn't seem to mind, though, his grin directed at the people who now approached us.

"Are you Phoenix McCoy?" the woman asked, but I kept focusing on the blueberry yogurt in front of me.