Chapter 60: The Chapel, Part 1

There was one thing Sebastian definitely did well: He knew how to throw a wedding

The chapel he'd chosen was religiously beautiful. Ivy raked around the sandstone walls outside, framing the oak wooden double doors in medieval fashion. Inside, the office — aka the bride's changing room — looked just as beautiful. A large oval shaped crystal mirror hung on one side of four white walls, most of which were decorated with iron crucifixes or gothic paintings.

Maeve sat on a small stool in front of the mirror, daisies braided into dark hair that flowed down her back. A white silk dress hugged her figure, perfectly tailored to complement her body. She looked hauntingly beautiful — yet another trait she'd given off to her son.

I closed the door behind me and entered the silence, with Maeve watching me through the mirror. Her usually strong nature appeared pale and hopeless in these surroundings, the white dress practically pulling all color from her face.

I took my position behind her, letting my hands rest on her tense shoulders.

"You look absolutely gorgeous," she said, her curious gaze wandering over my body.

"Thank you," I returned her smile and glanced at our portrait in the mirror: The only thing we had in common this day was the color of our hair, other than that, I was the exact opposite of Maeve. Literally black and white.

While Maeve's wedding dress basically turned her into an angel, I looked like I was here to bring her down to hell with me. In my black dress, dark boots, and hair loosely brushing over my shoulders, I seemed like a wild animal more than anything.

Not that I minded. If it'd gone my way, I'd have been here in my usual jeans and leather jacket, but Amara had insisted we had to look the part. You never know who could see you, she'd said.

Now she was the one hiding out in another room with the rest of our group.

"I'd tell you how beautiful you look, but I'm sure that's the last thing you want to hear right now," I addressed Maeve again, who was still watching me.

"No." She chuckled sadly and glanced down at her fingers, which wrapped around a tiny picture frame. Upon further inspection, I realized it was a polaroid picture of her and Phoenix, from when he must've been in his teens. He was giggling in her arms while she hugged him from behind, and both of them looked incredibly happy. At peace, almost.

"You were right." Maeve spoke up again.

"Right about what?"

"Both of you, you were right about everything." She looked at me through the mirror, the familiar green in her eyes stunning me momentarily. "You were right when you said I didn't allow him to make his own decisions. He was right when he said I haven't respected him enough..." A tear fell from the corner of her eye, but she caught it before it had the chance to roll down her cheek. "All I ever wanted was the best for my child. He is everything to me."