Chapter 21: Falling

I took my time getting ready for Salim

Truth be told, I wasn't looking forward to whatever he had to say. It wasn't even his fault, but the reality was that the closer I got to Florence, the less I wanted to play this entire scheme.

It wasn't a game to me, and I just wished people would understand that, too.

Unfortunately, that wasn't how the sport worked, and so I had no choice but to play along.

"Alright, so." Salim handed me an energy drink, courtesy of the team's biggest sponsor, and settled back in his chair. "I've got good news, and... well, good news."

I raised a brow at him. "What?"

"Yeah, well, I can't tell you about everything. I would, but there are contractual obligations, and I—"

"If I don't need to know, then I don't want to know. Just tell me what's going on."

He nodded, though I could tell he didn't appreciate my harsh interruption. "Alright then... So, Michael said he's open to discuss a seat for you next season."

My eyes widened at his revelation. "Did you just say—"

"Yup, I did." The grin on Salim's lips was contagious, and I leaned back in my chair, letting that message sink in.

"How? Why?" The questions plowed through my head. Last time we'd discussed this, it had sounded almost impossible to wrap up the conditions Azure Racing asked of me. But when I saw the look in Salim's eyes right that moment, I knew he wasn't telling the full truth. "Salim, what's going on?"

He sighed and took a sip of his black tea, the scent filling his entire office. "As I said, I can't tell you everything. But... We do still need that tech company as your sponsor. Henry already has a plan in motion to achieve that though, so as long as you keep doing what you're doing, you should be good."

My brows furrowed. "Keep doing what I'm doing?"

"Yeah, you know. Show yourself. Your little stunt with Flo today was great, too."

"That wasn't a stunt, Salim. We were just messing around." I should've known that's what he thought I was doing. In the end, it's what I was here for, in a way. But things changed, and the mere thought of playing Florence like that didn't fit right with me.

I could tell how scared she was that she fucked something up today when we provoked Liam, and from what I'd gotten to know about her, Flo wasn't the kind of woman that got scared over nothing. She valued her career and worked hard to let her reputation speak for itself, which was more than most others in the paddock could say about themselves.

Seeing that fear didn't sit right with me, and if whatever my management had planned could sabotage her career, then that would simply be unfair.

"Well, whatever the reason, it's great. Your mood seems to have improved enough for others to notice, which means more attention for you."