Chapter One

"Good luck.. sweetheart. You know we miss you right? And we're right behind you" my mom wishes down the other end of the phone...

"Thanks.. I guess I'm just nervous, being here on my own is crazy. I miss you guys more than ever"

"I know, but this is for the best. You're ok now and we can hopefully move out there soon, to be with you" she promises.

" I can't wait..."

Most of the 30 minute phone call with my mom is her spent wishing me good luck and promising that she loves me and you know how moms can be.

You see, I start my new job today. In the city, I'm so alone it's crazy... but I won't get into why I'm out here. It's too long of a story, maybe I'll tell it to you one day.

But right now, I'm off to meet my new boss, with a coffee in one hand, my work file gripped tightly in the other. I'm sat on my own at the back of the public bus. After finishing my phone call with my mother, I tried listening to some music to calm my nerves.

It takes a good 40 minutes to get to my the new office from my apartment, and I didn't want to drive as I know I'd get lost. And have a full on breakdown.. not what I need in my first day is it? Maybe once I'm more comfortable with my location.. I might start driving to and from but who knows.

The minutes pass by rather quickly, and I'm off walking down the just streets of New York before arriving at the high office building, I would say maybe 9 or 10 floors. It's full of...people..obviously. From different companies, business men and woman, coming and going and me not having a clue where I'm supposed to be, I head over to the receptionist and greet her with a nervous smile..

"Uh.. Hi... It's my first day here and I'm not really sure where to go.."

"Name please?" she bluntly states...wow ok...

"Erm.. Lily.. Lily Brown" I reply.. still with that squeaky nervousness in my voice

She goes through some paperwork on her desk... before looking up to me and crossing out my name...

"Ah there you are.. you're on floor 7, with Mr Downey" she states, and now stands from her chair to point down the corridor to her left... "either take the lift or head through those doors and straight up stairs. If you speak to the receptionist up there, she'll sort you out with ID and take you to his office" she tells me.

"Thank you.."  And I head to the lift, once it arrives and I let the people out who are wanting the ground floor, I step in with a few other people, each of them pressing the floor they need to be on... and not one is going to the one I need so I press the 7th floor. And wait for it to go...

Reaching  floors... 2, 4, 6 and the. Finally. Mine.

I step out of the lift heading to the offices ahead of me, there is a receptionist as previously advised, an elderly woman sitting behind her computer, and  a few waiting chairs... I head to her and gave her my name, she hands me an ID tag...

"You'll need this for leaving and entering the office. This door is always locked so please don't lose it.."

"Thank you" I put it over my head and tuck it under my coat.

"Mr Downey is just in a meeting, he won't be long, take a seat.."

My nerves are kicking in now. I hate new things. Meeting new people. I just hope my new boss likes me, and I can actually make this job work.

My phone buzzes... and I check the message.

Mom - let me know how you get on... I love you

I reply instantly that I will call her on my break...

A good 15 minutes go by, and I'm watching the clock tick the minutes away behind Elaine who is typing away... and as every minute goes by, the silence apart from the distant noise from phones ringing, people talking.. I get more nervous. I could be sick at this point, but I'm holding it back.

"Mr Downey is ready for you now.. please go through.. his office is on the right hand side at the far end"

And with that I walk down the small hallway, offices to my left and right.. until I reach it..

I stand at office door a good couple of seconds before the door opens and there is my new boss..

"Hello.. you must be Lily"  he grins ear to ear.. as he looks me up and down..

Why do people do that? Judging you based on looks before they get to know you.. like they aren't going to like you if you aren't dressed a certain way... sorry that's just my own anxiety coming out.

And it totally doesn't help with my nerves at all... please don't look at me that way. I'm self conscious as it is.

"I'm Robert, please come in.."

He moves to the side to allow me to enter into his office, it's spacious, two desks, one with nothing on and I'm guessing that will be mine, and his... a total mess... wow.. he seriously needs to look at his organising.

"As you'll be working as my assistant, you'll be taking this desk, I hope that's ok for you, we'll be working pretty closely together so I could do with having you in here, rather than out there"

I nod.. "yes, yes that is ok... thank you.." as I look over to my new desk.. he closes the door behind him and it makes me jump slightly...

"Please don't be nervous.. I've read your file and your previous work, and all I can say, it's excellent"
He states clearly and sits at his desk, moving some paperwork to the side, he looks back over to me.. "That's why I agreed the transfer for you, and I only want the best, you will be just fine here.. I promise"

"I am really grateful for this opportunity.. Mr Downey" I offer to him, hoping he doesn't know the real reason behind the transfer.. and it being my first day it's the only reason he's being nice...

"Oh Lily...that's your first mistake.. Mr Downey makes me sound so...professional... please just call me Robert"