Chapter Twenty Three

"What about.. Jade?" I offer to him.

"Jade Downey?"

We're debating baby names. It's only a month or so to go until we get to meet our baby girl, so now it's evening. We've had a nice meal together and I'm laying back on the couch with my head in Robert's lap. He's watching me go through baby names on my phone.

"Cute right..?"

"Hmm.." he's not buying it.

"Well.. what about Leah?"

"Meh.." he shrugs. "You're not helping..there's literally so many on this list.." I frown at him.

"Sorry babe, I'm not good at this thing.."

"I can tell..you need to have a think about what names you like, she'll here soon.." He's lifted a hand to stroke softly through my hair.

"I have been thinking I did have one in mind that you haven't said yet.."

"Oh? What is it?"

"Elsie.." actually that's quite cute, I'm surprised he thought of that one.. but then I remember why he thought of that one..

"Your mums name?" I look up to him with a smile.

"Yeah.. I get it if you don't like it but, I thought it was sweet and kinda in honour of the other woman in my life who's supported me..just an idea we don't have to name her that if you don't want to.."

"I like it..Elsie Downey.."

"You mean it?" He's hopeful.

"Yeah...our baby girl.."

"She's going to be perfect.." he starts running his fingers up arm as he speaks.. "just..like.." and then bops my nose .. "you.."

A few days pass, and today, Robert's being weird. And I can't put my finger on it. He's been.. like .. nervous? All jittery? Like something is on his mind? And I'm not sure why. Every time I try to talk to him he's like all jumpy and totally avoids any questions.

"Are you going to visit your mom today?" He asks one morning as he makes himself a coffee.

"Yeah.. why?"

"Just wondering.. I'll be out till just before dinner tonight.."

"Oh.. ok..so I'll see you tonight yeah?"

He nods and comes over to me to offer me a kiss and places his hand over my tummy.

"Yeah..I love you.. both so so much.." and then he's gone and I'm left thinking as to why he's being so weird. Is it me? Is he having doubts? Is he nervous about the baby?

I make my way upstairs to start getting dressed. Making an effort just to go visit Mom. I notice Robert has his nice suit hanging up on the closet door. Hm.. I wonder why he's got that out? He never mentioned anything about a night out..

I try to push my thoughts of worrying about his mood to the back of my mind and have James drive me to my apartment.

"Hey Mom.." she greets me with a hug when I enter the kitchen, she's busy making breakfast for herself.

"You ok?" She asks settling the food down on the table.

"Yeah.. just.. Has Robert called you?"

"Um.." she's hesitant.. "No.. why would he.."

"Just acting a bit weird lately, not sure why.."

"Oh.. I'm sure it's just the baby or something.."

Now she's acting strange? What the fuck? She's never ever hid anything from me before, what if they're talking behind my back? What if he's told her he's acting doubts? Surely she'd be on my side?