Chapter Twenty Seven

"Shh baby girl.. daddy's got you.. and he will take care of you..don't cry.." is the sound I'm woken up to just a few hours later. Elsie is crying in Robert's arms. I open my eyes to see Robert gently rocking her, which she soon settles down when he rocks her to sleep. I notice now it's only the three of us in the room.

"Oh hey look who's awake.." he comes over to me and kisses my forehead.. "Hey Mom.."

"How long was I asleep?"

"Couple hours. Your mom has gone back home and will visit in the morning, so it's just us for tonight and then maybe tomorrow afternoon we can take her home.."

"Oh right.. come sit beside me?" I say and pat the bed beside me when I shift over a little making space for him.

He smiles and happily accepts, sitting down beside me, holding Elsie carefully in one arm whilst the other wraps around me, so I can rest my head on him.

"She's perfect isn't she.." I whisper and he nods, kissing my head again.

"Yup.. just like Mommy.. my beautiful girls.."

"I love you.."

"Hey.. what's wrong?" He notices when I wipe a tear away.

"Nothing.."

"You're crying.."

"I guess.. I'm just happy and I can't believe this is my life.."

"So happy tears? That's ok.. you deserve to be happy.." he gently rocks Elsie back to sleep, and he stands up to lay her back in her cot beside the bed and then comes back to join me, but this time he's pulling me close and I rest my head on his chest, wrapping my arm around his waist.

"How are you feeling baby?"

"A little sore, and tired, but it's nice to be able to cuddle up to you again.. I missed this.." I close my eyes taking in his scent, running my hand up and down his chest underneath his t shirt. I feel him lift a hand to softly stroke my hair.

"I'll take care of you.. always..I can't wait to make you my wife and then we'll be a proper family" he's placing a soft kiss on the top of my head..
"I don't wanna wait any longer for our wedding..so as soon as you're ready, let's do it.. let's get married.."

"I agree.. I love you so much Robert.." I lean up to kiss him on his lips which turns up into a smirk when we connect.

After a few hours later, checks ups with the nurse, baby fed and changed. The nurse allows us to go home. Robert's putting Elsie in her car seat and my moms waiting to take us home. Robert wants to do the new dad photo shot as we walk out of the hospital where he's carrying her out. So as he walks ahead of us, I take a few snaps, and then my mom insists us all have one as a family before we leave.

Elsie is really good on the journey home, sleeping in her car seat, I sit beside her whilst Robert sits up front with my mom. I'm just in awe at this tiny little human, we both made out of love. I never pictured this would end up my life all those years back. A perfect husband to be, and a beautiful daughter.

After an hour or so of being grandmother, my mom says goodbye before leaving us to enjoy her first day at home as a family. I tell her she can stay but she insists it should just be the 3 of us.

Making the most of a sleeping baby, Robert and I cuddle up on the couch, the first time we've been able to get close to one another without me nearly hating him for just breathing. I run my hand up his chest, and gently stroke his face. Looking deep into those brown eyes, I place a kiss on his lips.

"Thank you for taking care of me these past few months, you are an amazing man Robert.." I cradle his face in my hands, before resting my head on his chest as he wraps his arms around me.