Chapter Twenty Six

Thursday March 15th.

It started off as a normal morning, I got up, had a long bath to help relax with being so close to our due date, as always it felt amazing.

Robert had gone with James to meet Claire for a catch up on the business, so I was home alone on the morning.

After my long soak and changing into one of my lounge outfits I decided to go through baby's stuff in her new and fresh room. It's so cute, pink and white walls with little teddy bears, Robert had recently..uh.. tried.. to paint it and to be honest he's done an ok job for a beginner. There's a rocking chair in the corner of the room, next to her crib, which is where I sit, just imagining holding a small human in my arms rocking her to sleep. An unreal feeling.

I end up putting some more outfits for her in case I can't decide in my hospital bag. I really like the all in one that I got for her a long time ago, so that's definitely going with me.

After an hour had passed, my stomach ache that had developed wasn't shifting. I thought that I could be hungry, so I go to the kitchen and make myself a small snack but again, stomach pain wouldn't go away so I left it on the counter top. The pains were getting sharper as the minutes ticked by, surely it can't be now? She's not due for another week or so..

I hold my side, trying to ease the pain, I go to lie on the couch and try to call Robert. But it just rings out, so I leave him a voicemail.

"Hey baby, just me.. I think.. it could be starting can you get home soon?" When there's no answer from Robert I decide to call my mom. Who picks up straight away.

"Hey how's my darling daughter today?"

"Not great.. I'm not sure if I'm going into labour.." and that quickly turns her into super Mom panic mode.

"Right! I'll be right over!! Just remember to breathe, is Robert there?"

"No.." I whine.. "he's at the office.. I've tried calling him though.."

"Well I'll try to give him a call.. but I'm on my way! And I'll call the hospital.."

"Mom..I'm scared.."

"Don't be I'll be there in 10!"

And she soon is, bursting through the door like a mad woman. She's at me side quicker than she could say my full name.

"Hey, moms here. You're going to be ok.." she's holding onto my hand as the contractions get stronger.

"Shush.. it's ok sweetie, let's get you in the car.."

"I need Robert..Mom.. he can't miss this.."

"I'm sure he won't! I'll keep trying him when we get there!"

She helps me to the car, and drives like she's an actual police officer or something. My nerves, anxiety and whatever else I'm going through just can't take it.

"Could you like chill? I don't fancy having my daughter in the back of your car!" I shout at her in the car.

When we arrive at the hospital, I'm given some pain relief and put in my own room, my moms desperately trying to get ahold of Robert but he's still not picking up.

"He's going to miss the birth of his daughter.. I can't believe it!"

"Please Mom.. take my phone and call James or Claire! One of them has gotta pick up!"

"I'm sorry Ms Brown but you're going to be examined and as they're strong contractions you may need to start pushing.."

"No.. absolutely not I can't have her without him here!" I try but the nurse isn't having it.