Chapter Twenty Two

"Babe are you nearly ready?" Robert shouts up to me. He's been ready for about 30 minutes more than me. But hey, I'm pregnant, tired and trying to fit into a dress, when all I want is to fit into my pjs and eat.

"Uh.. yeah.. have you got a second?" I call back to him. It's not long until he's joining me by the mirror in the bedroom.

"What's up?"

"Can you like.. help me zip it up?"

"Oh.. sure.." he stands behind me, I look at him through the mirror, he's looking down to where the zip lies at the bottom of my back, I get shivers when his hand slowly pull the zip upper my back. He gently leaves a kiss on my shoulder before hugging me from behind. His hands resting on my bump.

"You look gorgeous.. James is waiting to take us.."

"I'm sorry.. I just.. forgot that it was pretty tight at the store so I had a bit of struggle.."

"It's ok.. I'm here to help you.."

I'm not sure how long we just stand, looking at each other in the mirror. His hands still rested on the bump, his chin resting on my shoulder. His hair is all nicely styled back and he looks so handsome. It's a nice, peaceful moment shared between the two of us. We haven't really spoke about having a girl yet, as he came home from work, straight in the shower to get ready for the dinner he promised. And he was still ready before me.

"I think James might shout at me if we don't get our asses in the car.. like now.." he whispers in my ear.

"Ok..I'm ready.. let's go.."

And then we're arriving, after a short drive to a nice fancy restaurant just near his home. It's so fancy I feel like I shouldn't be here.

"Relax.. you look stunning.." he whispers underneath his breath, so no one really hears except me. He must sense my anxiety at being in a place like this.

"Ah Mr Downey.. welcome back sir.. your room is all set and your guests have already started to arrive.. they are waiting in the drinks area.." a nice, well dressed man greets us.

"Thank you.. usual place I assume?"

"Yes.. as always.. enjoy.."

Robert leads me to a private room, where the table is all set out, our name plates are visible and mine is next to Robert and next to someone named Richard. As Robert's arrival allows his guests to now enter the room, he greets them one by one, introducing me as he goes. They all seem nice, professional. All full of congratulations for the baby. Robert's beaming smile doesn't leave his face.

Proud dad already.

"I must say you look absolutely gorgeous, and this tiny bump has got you a glow, you look really well.." an elderly lady greets me, she must be one of the wives of the men who's talking business with Robert.

"Oh.. thank you, that's so kind of you.."

"You're welcome. I've known Robert since he was just a lad.. and now to see him being a successful business man like my Richard, to see him settling down with a family makes me proud, just like his mom is.. I'm happy for him.. for you both.."

Ah so her husband is who I'm sat beside.

"You knew Robert when he was younger?" I ask with curiosity.

"Oh yes.. his mom and I go way back, my husband, Richard helped him start up, get him on the right track, a few bumps along the way but he got there, and now he's right where we want him to be..at the very top.."

"Aww that's really sweet.." I glance over to Robert who's talking with a couple of people. The room starts to fill up and there's about 10.. maybe 12 people taking their seats.