Chapter Thirty One

Robert's POV

"Is this a good idea?" James asks me in the car on the way into the office..

"Probably not, but I need to know what's going on.. there's something more to this, I know.."

"You should be leaving this alone, and focussing on Lily and your daughter.."

"I know.."

"You should be planning your wedding that is in just a few months by the way, not chasing down ex's"

"I know! But I can't have her.. you saw how scared she is!"

"I know you'll never agree, you never do but just be careful ok?!"

"I will.. you're here.. it'll be fine.."

The car drive is awkward after that, we both sit in silence, and make our way to the office.. when I get there it's quiet and in darkness. Perfect.

There's still a few papers left on the desk from yesterday but I just push them aside, leaving them for later..

"Can you deal with this?" I pass James my phone and it's one of the business deals that need an answer back today or I'll lose it.. but this is more important right now.

I pour myself a glass whiskey, and down it in one.. I watch out the window at the street below.. one hand in my trouser suit pocket.. just standing, waiting..

A few moments later, James comes back with my phone..

"Lily is on for you.."

"Great thanks.." I take the phone from his hands.. "Hey babe.."

"Hey.." she speaks on the other end of the phone..

"Is everything ok?"

"Yeah.. just wanted to hear your voice, I know you just left like 30 minutes ago but.."

"Aww babe.. I'll be home soon.. I love you.. you know what right?"

"Yeah.. I love you to too.. we both do.."

"You know I'll never get tired of hearing that.." it's true I won't. I never thought this was ever in my future..  a wife, a baby.. it's like the jigsaw is finally getting put together.

And then I see him.. getting out of a cab.. he looks up to the building..

"Babe. I've gotta go..meeting just about to start.. see you soon.." I tell James to bring him up as I say goodbye to Lily.

"You want me to wait outside?"

"Yeah.. it's got to be just me.. and him.."

I have to try and keep my anger under control, especially when he walks in my office..

"Well when I woke up this morning, I didn't expect this to be in my day.." he says walking over to my desk.. he picks up a picture I have of Lily and Elsie, and that's when that stupid little smirk creeps on his face.

"Nice family.." he puts it back down, I don't say anything.. as I'm trying to keep it cool.

"So.. want to tell me what I'm here for or you just gonna stand there all day?"

Wow he's a dick. But then he drops the act and shows me exactly who he is..

"Did this used to be her desk then? I bet she liked a fuck on this.." he runs his finger along the wood of what used to be Lily's desk.

"Shut the fuck up.." is the first thing I say, and he lets out a chuckle.

"Oooo so it does speak..I'm guessing I was right on both of those.. I can picture it now.. her bent over, me behind her..just how it used to be.."