CHAPTER VI

"Don't lie. I overheard that."

Flustered at my response, he averted his gaze and replied,

"...that...I just can't understand why you would back out."

"No. What you really can't understand is why I am not acting like my character...in the book."

The last words were a whisper that made his eyes flinch.

"You...You're not from this book also?"

A small smile crept on both our faces while we were happy knowing that we were not the only one stuck in this book. Though this moment brought a sense of relief but it also made me question that why and how did we both get into this book?

"Come with me."

He said before jerking me to follow him. We went to the nearby staircase that lead to the upper floor. This floor purely occupies private offices which mean that general public wasn't allowed to be here. I noticed he was still clutching my hand. I wanted to let go since I can walk by myself but for some reason I let it be. We soon reached a door, next to which his name plate, Duke Argus Dallarosa, was hung along with the room number 337.

He finally lets go of my hand that had turned warm from his touch. Reflexively, I pull my hand behind my back, using my other hand to grip the portion that he was holding on to before.

He opens the door and motions me to head inside.

"It's unsafe to talk about it in public. It will be better to do it in a private place. This is my office."

I nod and step inside the room that wasn't as spacious as I expected. It was of mediocre size with wooden furniture. Identical to the one I was in before. It's a government's building and according to the rules, all the rooms are the same to promote equality. The only considerable difference was the real life sized emblem representing the Dallarosa Duchy and Knights. Behind the desk, on top of a silver metallic shield were two black diamonds outer design drawn in opposite to each other. In the midst was a sword facing downward. I noticed the same emblem was on Argus's shirt as a badge. Though I don't know if I should call him Argus anymore. He must have his real name.

"Please sit down."

His voice made me remember that there's something more important to discuss. I sat on the sofa in front to him.

"When did you come into this book?"

He started questioning right away.

"Around 3-4 days ago. What about you?"

"It's been many years. I...no, Argus was nine when I came into this world."

"What's your real name then?"

"Isn't it customary to introduce oneself before asking others?"

"Okay, fine. I'll describe everything first and then you tell me yours. Okay?"

He gently nods while I began explaining my side of the story.

"My name is Katherine Wilson. I am twenty years old. I read this book one day randomly. And then that night when I went to sleep, I woke up in this book."

"Oh, you're the same age as me. Or at least I was before I came here. My name is Christopher Macey."

"Nice to meet you, Christopher."

"It sounds odd to hear that name. Please call me Argus. I've gotten used to it."

"Oh, same here then. Please call me Rhea."

"Nice to meet you, Rhea. Though I have to ask...we are both 20. But I came in this book earlier than you. Then tell me, is the war still going on?"