CHAPTER XIV

"You found my brothers at one his mines?"

I inquired Argus while the court had been dismissed for fifteen minutes. Mama had taken Thalia to the washroom while the Marquis and the lawyer were talking to each other at the courtroom.

"....yes..."

"But he said they were at his mansion?"

"...it's a long story..."

I raise my brow in curiosity, waiting for him to start explaining. Seeing my sharp gaze, he everts his eyes and adds,

"We did find them from his mansion however to have solid proof evidence against him, we devised a plan where the officer found them at the mines and can thus come and give his word in front of the judges. Moreover, his words cannot be taken as a lie since he is now an eye witness and additionally an officer of the public and the Kingdom."

"What's going to happen now? Didn't you say that the judges are also with him?"

"Not all of them. The female judge is a close friend of the Marquis and he requested her to take over the case as the head judge."

"Then it's going to be in our favour?"

"You can say that..."

"Duke Dallarosa. May I have a few words with you?"

"Yes, of course. I will be right back."

Upon the Marquis call, Argus takes his leave for a while whereas I was for my mother and sister to be back.

Suddenly I hear footsteps approaching. Thinking that it's either them or Argus, I reflexively turn around to see Ryker Cash standing there, glaring.

"You.....huh...."

He scoffed, rolling his eyes, anxiously brushing his hands through his hair in stress.

"I should have known. Why did I bother letting you go so easily when I could have had you in the other way as well? I guess I was enjoying seeing you in trouble. You know....a dog should never bite it's owner. You still owe me. Regardless of whatever I will be charged with, you still owe me."

"So what? That does not mean you own me."

He bursts out laughing and chuckling,

"That's just how it is. Don't forget the interest. It's still increasing even as we now speak. By the time, I'll be out soon from the jail so then what will happen to you, darling? With your current situation, I doubt you will be able to gather that much amount...."

His hand reaches for me while I move a few steps back until I could no longer do so since my back collided with the wall. I push my feet a bit back, ready to kick him in the gut as soon as he would dare to touch me. However, that's when I recall that if I move here right now, they might counterattack in the court saying I attacked him. Damnit. I gritted my teeth. I wanna punch him so badly.

His fingers are about to touch my cheek when a hand grips his arm tightly.

"What do you think you are doing?"

A cold voice escaped Argus's mouth as both continue to glare at each other.

"..nothing."

Ryder grits his teeth and tries to pull his hand back however, Argus doesn't let go of him. Instead his grip tightens and he whispers in such a low voice that only Ryker was able to hear him in his ear,

"You better know your place before you do anything. Too bad, you could have had your chance to live a better life but in the end, a trash can remains a trash can no matter how much you clean it."