CHAPTER XII

"Kill those brats. It's useless now. What good are people who won't listen. Now they will understand what it means to disobey me."

The man turns around to carry out the order.

"Wait."

He stops in his tracks to wait for his boss to giver further orders.

"Don't kill them yet. I might still have use of them."

"Got it."

The man replied and left the room. When he came outside, he inwardly smiled. Why? It's because he knew the children had already escaped. This man was a spy for Argus who was currently pretending to be working for Ryker who was oblivious to this.

_________________

I open my eyes after god knows how long I slept. Why do I feel so sleepy? Is it because of the fever? Luckily, I don't feel so feverish anymore. Although my body still aches.

I push myself out of the bed to stand up and see what time it is. I pull the curtains to notice that the sun was setting outside. Gosh! I can't believe I slept all day. I wonder what happened to Eros and Lark. I know Argus told me to trust him but I feel so anxious and unsettled. This feeling won't go away until I see them with my own eyes being safe and sound.

A knock at the door brings me back from my thoughts as I reply,

"Enter."

"My lady, would you like to have dinner right now or later on?"

Seeing that familiar face and hearing that familiar voice, my eyes went wide for a split second and then I regained my composure and started glaring at the man in front of me because I finally understood what had actually happened. The Prince's cousin from the neighbouring kingdom? Ha, my foot! It was a joke. Argus is the one who bought our mansion.

"Tell me, do you perhaps have a twin brother who works as an aide in the neighbouring country?"

"Huh?"

Fidelis becomes startled and looks up in surprise.

"I'm guessing that's not the case. Then this means you are Fidelis....or perhaps your real name is something else? Would you care to explain?"

Fidelis starts to avert his gaze with guilt and finally sighs and gives in. Muttering a small forgive me, my lord. He then retorts,

"My name is Fidelis and what you are thinking is right. My lord did buy the Leneghan Estate......."

"Then why hide it?"

"He knew you wouldn't let him therefore this was his only way to help pay back your debt...please trust me, he had no ill intentions..."

"...I know....but...."

"Please don't be angry at him."

"I am not angry...I am just surprised.....grateful.....but also shocked....."

"My lady....if I may.....could you please not mention this to my lord that I told you about this?"

He requested. From the tone of his voice, I felt that he would be in trouble if Argus found out. Hence, I assured him,

"Don't worry. I won't even tell him I found out about this."

"Thank you, my lady!"

"And please stop referring to me as your lady. I am not a member of the Duchy of Dallarosa."

"But you will be soon, won't you?"

"What?"

"Never mind."