CHAPTER XIX

About almost an hour later, Argus who was worried about how Rhea would be doing, peeked a glance at her while talking to other nobles. He was surprised to find her to be the center of attention and quite popular. He didn't expect her to mingle so quickly. When Rhea observed someone's gaze upon her, she glances up to look at the familiar hazel golden orbs and as a form of assurance gives him a thumb up that she has got it all handled. And this was true. Within a few minutes of talking Rhea grasped the secret knowledge of how to handle these women. All the ladies were quite impressed with her and the crowd around her started to spread more and more. There were even a few suitors who approached to dance with her, however, she found a way to get rid of them as well. She would simply state that she won't dance with anyone other than her partner and when they would turn to look at the said person, Argus, who was oblivious to what was going on, would instinctively glare at them. All he knew was that when those men approached her, it irritated him. It made him even angrier when she would smile and say something back to them. After which when they would turn to look at him, he would in his mind tell them to scram. Oblivious to him, it would work and he felt relieved when after a while they stopped approaching Rhea.

Meanwhile, on the other hand, Rhea tried her best to divert the conversation to find out who stole the gem, however, they were more interested in her and Argus's relationship. She didn't know how to respond. If she claimed they were only acquaintances, bad rumors would spread. Which although she didn't pay attention to it, she knew this would make them mistrust her and think of her as a not-so-good woman. Moreover, she didn't want Argus to be caught him in such weird rumors as well. However, she weighed both options. Either way, they both were going to get caught up in any kind of rumors. The moment they both first stepped into this hall together, they were already the center of gossips hence there is nothing she could do now than to use it to her advantage. Sorry, Argus. She inwardly apologized to the man who stood quite far from her.

"How long has it been going on?"

Lady Helen, the one whom Arthur told her to look out for, prompted her to tell everyone the duration of Argus's and Rhea's relationship which did not exist. But they don't need to know about that for now, Rhea thought to herself and retorted,

"Well, I wouldn't say it has been that long..."

"Oh! Then it's true!"

"Oh, my lord!"

"You have to tell us more!"

Rhea then smiled, proud at herself for gaining their attention, especially Lady Helen's.

"Of course."

Rhea used the technique of sharing. She shared her secrets in return the ladies shared theirs. It was a wonderful and innovative idea to get closer to one another and find out who has the gem. Of course, it was even more wonderful seeing as how Rhea's secrets were all a lie. It is no doubt that many of the ladies present amongst them must have also faked their words, however, it was quite easy for Rhea to distinguish between their lies and truth.

Before long, she deduced that it wasn't Lady Helen who took the gem but in fact, her lady in waiting Sarah and her husband Gavin stole it, unknown to Lady Helen.

All she now needed to do was to find where it was hidden. The reason why this gem was important was not because of its importance as a jewel but rather in fact it was a key to the holy hidden treasure that only the Emperor of this Empire knows of and has seen. Hence their reasons for stealing it are not something to worry about.

While chatting, she observed Lady Sarah take her to leave to go to the separate parlor rooms opened for most women to fix their makeup or clothes or even rest. Most of them were occupied to have private meetings as well.