Part the Eleventh

It was midweek whenever Audra dropped in for a surprise visit. I gratefully appreciated seeing her for I was getting quite bored while it was raining nonstop. I had to refrain from my walks because of the downpour, and I couldn't risk getting a cold. If I got sick, I would have to miss the ball the next weekend. It took me a long time to recover from colds ever since I got hypothermia as a child.

"I'm so glad you came, my friend," I said as I walked her to the parlor where my father was probably reading the newspaper. I knocked on the door announcing myself and Audra, to open it revealing Papa standing up and bowing.

"How are you doing today, Miss Burns?" he asked, taking his newspaper up in his hands.

"I am well, and you?"

"Very well, indeed!" he said, making his way towards the door. "I must say, that I would only bore you with my political conversations, so I shall leave you two to talk about whatever women your age talk about. See you at supper, Magdelline."

"See you then, Papa," I said as he shut the door behind him. I turned to Audra, gesturing to the seats by the fire and then the window.

"You can sit wherever you like," I paused before looking at the rain pattering against the window, "except I recommend sitting close to the fireplace for it must be chilly by the window.

"Whatever works for you," Audra said, before following my suit to sit by the fireplace. The fire crackled as we sat in silence for a moment before I turned to my friend.

"Whatever brings you to Fernsbury in the pouring rain?" I asked. "Not that I am disappointed. A surprise visit from you brightens up my day."

"I was just thinking about you today," Audra said. "I was reminiscing on when we were younger. And I realized we hadn't had a normal social call in too long. Sorry for coming unannounced."

"That might be deserved, though," I laughed. "I came unannounced the other night, so we are even."

"But yours was an accident," Audra said, shaking her head with a laugh. "They are two completely different circumstances." Guilt filled my stomach as I recalled lying to them that it was an accidental visit. I just hoped it wouldn't come up again. I didn't want to face it at all or ever again. I lied, and that was enough to make my stomach churn. Would I admit it? Never, but would I do it again? I hoped not on the same scale I did on the visit to Elmswood.

"But coming at dinner time and coming after lunch are two different things," I shrugged. "Besides, you are my closest friend and if you came in the middle of the night, I would welcome you with open arms. Though, through a yawn."

"And the same goes to you," Audra laughed.

"But enough about me," I said. "How are you doing? You must be excited to have Nicolas with you after a couple of years—you saw him the Christmas of 1814, correct?"

"Yes," she nodded. "It has been a blessing to have him back with us. But I'm sorry Father only had a short time with him."

"When is your father coming back?" I inquired, pulling out my embroidery.

"In a few days," Audra replied. "But, you must be excited—you hadn't seen Nicolas in over four years."

"I must admit, I was excited to hear he was coming back," I nodded. "But I must say, his changed appearance startled me."

"Yes, he has grown into quite the refined and handsome young man, hasn't he?"

"He can actually grow sideburns now," I said in a serious tone before cracking up, Audra joining me.

"Yes, he would always be so sad when he couldn't grow any facial hair," Audra recalled.

"I must admit, that definitely startled me when I first saw him again," I said, with a chuckle.

"Yes, but it does make him look quite handsome, doesn't it?"

"I would guess so."

"You guess?"

"I admit, he is quite handsome," I said, trying to remain uninterested. I didn't want her to catch on to my feelings for her brother. How awkward that would be if it came out.

"He will be quite the catch for a wife one day," Audra said slyly giving me a side look. I stiffened at her comment.

"Isn't he already on the top of the list of eligible men?" I said, trying to laugh it off. "You saw Miss Charleston. Greta." Her name was distasteful in my mouth.

"He did seem rather popular at the party," Audra nodded before turning to me, a sly smile etched on her face. "You seemed to spend a rather large amount of time with him as well."

"It was either spend time with him or Mr. Carl Wright," I said, pushing it off.

"Delly, come out with it," Audra said looking me in the eyes. "You like him."

"Mr. Wright?" I asked, feigning shock but Audra's deadpan look made me add, "your brother, you mean?"

"Who else?" Audra said before setting her tea down. "Are you interested in him? I had noticed you glancing his way multiple times since he's been back."

I blushed unaware that I would look his way. I hadn't noticed.

"I highly respect, Nicolas," I said quietly unsure of how much to tell Audra. I knew I could trust her, but all of the sudden I felt shy and exposed. I didn't know what to say. "He is the most honorable and kind man I know."

"And handsome?" Audra asked, nudging me slightly before I chuckled.

"And handsome," I repeated, starting to feel a little bit uncomfortable. "Mr. Brunswick is also handsome, is he not?"

"Magdelline Forsythe, he's a clergyman!" Audra said, flushing bright red.

"Is it against the law for a clergyman to be handsome?" I asked, glad the conversation was off of me.

"No, but—" Audra shook her head before a distasteful look swept across her face. "But I feel it's best to ignore that and focus on the actual speaking instead of focusing on how handsome he is."

"So, you admit it?" I said, with a grin. "He is handsome, isn't he?"

"Mr. Brunswick is very good-natured."

"And handsome?" I asked as Audra blushed bright red.

"And handsome."