Part the Third

Every waking moment was spent wondering how I would make Mr. Nicolas Burns fall in love with me. Not that I was obsessed, but knowing how business works, Mr. Burns might return to his work and I would be left single and only get older. And that was not good for a woman of my age. Twenty and unmarried was quite the predicament to be in.

To seek Mr. Nicolas Burns out, I decided to take daily walks. I tried different times, hoping that I would catch him at one point—he loved to walk. For the past few days, I had no luck, though. But, I still persevered for I am not one to give up easily. That was one of the things I prided myself in. I didn't give up when all hope seemed lost. Maybe it was also a downfall, but how would I know? It had only done me good.

So, once the beginning of October rolled around, I went on my fifth walk, hoping to see Mr. Burns. This time I was trying mid-morning at around ten. The sky was rolling with thunder much like the last time I had seen Mr. Nicolas Burns— the time he walked me home. He was such a gentleman, wasn't he?

The wind tugged at my pinned-up hair, threatening to dismantle the style. I put my book under my arm, readmitting the pin into my bun. I held my book again, deciding to read Don Quixote. I slowly continued my trek over the countryside, heading in the direction of the tree that had been my hideaway for the past four years that Nicolas was gone. I read a chapter or so as I reached the tree, sitting down to continue reading. I continued reading until I heard someone clear their throat. My heart jumped as I looked up to see Mr. Nicolas Burns.

"Mr. Burns, you startled me," I exclaimed, standing up before closing my book. "How long have you been standing there?"

"I apologize Miss Forsythe, but I had been here long before you arrived," he nodded to me, examining the book in my hand. "I had been leaning on the tree but it seems you were a bit preoccupied."

"Ah, yes," I said, lifting the book before putting it beneath my arm. "How have you been faring, sir?"

"Very well, and you?"

"Very well, indeed," I replied. We paused for a second, looking anywhere but at each other. "How was business—?"

"—How is your father?" we both paused at how we both spoke simultaneously before chuckling.

"You answer first—how has the business been?" I asked, placing my book in my coat pocket.

"It has been quite good," he replied, placing his hands behind his back. "After college, Father sent me immediately to go talk with landowners in Norwich. And then after that, he sent me to Brighton, Sheffield, London—about everywhere he owned land to talk to the renters."

"That's good to hear," I said, nodding. "I also heard you went to Scotland as well. What was your business there?"

"Ah, my college friend invited me to stay at his estate, Redworth, in Lochaber. He wanted me to stay for his wedding and asked me to stay a season there."

"Was it as beautiful as they say it is in the Highlands—and isn't that by Ben Nevis?"

"Oh, the mountain was beautiful," he said before shaking his head to turn to me. "How is your father?"

"My father is well," I said, looking down at the ground. "Though he has definitely taken a toll from Mama's passing."

"How are you, Magdelline?" he asked slowly. "I hadn't heard of your loss until Mother mentioned it to me the other day."

"I've been well," I said, taking a breath. "It's been three years, so we are fine. But thank you for asking."

"Of course," he nodded, looking up at the tree. He looked as if he wanted to say something, but turned to look up at the sky. "It looks like it is about to rain. Would you like me to walk you home?"

"Only if you wish—it is not as if I could stop you, Mr. Burns," I jested.

"Miss Forsythe, if I may say, you could stop a charging bear if you deemed it necessary," was Mr. Burns's reply. I laughed, shaking my head as we walked in the direction of Fernsbury.

"You must be exaggerating, Mr. Burns," I replied. "Besides, if I were to have my way, the bear wouldn't be there in the first place."

"Touche," he chuckled. "Miss Forsythe must have her way."

"Exactly," I said, striding ahead of him. We neared the estate before I turned to Mr. Burns. "Would you like to see my father?"

"I haven't seen Mr. Forsythe in so long," he said, turning to face me with a smile. "I would love to. He was like a second father to me." I doubt he knew what I knew—that Papa would soon be his father-in-law, but I kept my mouth shut.

"That's good to hear," I replied, crossing my arms. "You and my father should go hunting soon. Maybe catch a turkey for Thanksgiving next month."

"That would be such a thrill." Nicolas nodded as we reached the house. I went inside, unbuttoning my coat. The butler, Reddington, bowed to me before taking my coat.

"Reddington, would you tell Papa that Mr. Burns is here to see him?"

"Of course," he bowed again, turning on his heel. Mrs. Cready entered the foyer as I was untying the ribbon to my bonnet. I handed her the bonnet before turning to Mr. Burns. "Mrs. Cready will take you to the parlor. I'll be down momentarily.

Mr. Nicolas Burns left around fifteen minutes after meeting my father. Though it was quick, I was glad that Mr. Burns got to say hello to Papa, and I'm sure Papa was ecstatic to see Nicolas after so many years. Papa and Nicolas planned a time to go hunting together which would be good for Papa for he required some companionship. It was also good for me because there was a chance I would see him. More time seeing him meant a higher chance of him falling in love with me.

"He's grown into quite the handsome and respectable man," Papa said taking a sip from his potato soup.

"He's always been, Papa," I said before correcting myself. "I mean, respectable."

"I heard he has six thousand a year," Papa said, giving me a look.

"That's a bit more than our four thousand," I replied, taking a bite out of my roll.

"A bit more? That's a good amount more."

"What are you trying to say, Papa?" I asked, looking up at my father innocently. Papa wiped his mustache with his napkin, before clearing his throat.

"I do believe that he is single," he said, raising a brow. "And he walked you home twice now. Am I expected to hear wedding bells any time soon?"

"Oh, Papa," I laughed, flushing. "As of right now, I am not attached to him in any way of the sort."

"And if he were to propose such an attachment?" Papa asked me, clasping his hands. It was almost like he was interrogating me which made me chuckle.

"I would accept—I am twenty, you know."

"Yes, I am fully aware of that," Papa laughed, pushing his bowl back. "I think I am going to head up to bed now."

"Of course, Papa," I said, as he walked around the table to kiss my forehead. "Good night."

"Good night, my dear," he said exiting the room. I sat there for a moment, stirring the soup in my bowl occasionally taking a sip. I wasn't very hungry, but I knew it was from the excitement and I needed sustenance. Finishing up my meal, I let Claudia, a maid, escort me to my room, and I went to bed.